Never miss Christian news that matters to you. facebookLike twitterFollow
pop up close

3-Year-Old Hospitalized After Swallowing 37 'Buckyballs' Magnets

0
Sign Up for Free eNewsletter ››
By Benge Nsenduluka, CP Reporter
March 6, 2012|2:46 pm

A 3-year-old toddler is lucky to be alive after swallowing 37 rare magnets, which doctors have since removed.

Payton Bushnell, of Oregon, has been recovering at Legacy Emanuel Hospital since Feb. 21 after consuming "Buckyballs," which are made of powerful "rare earth" magnets and commonly used as a stress relieving desk toy by adults, according to MSN.com.

After complaining about flu like symptoms, Payton was rushed to the hospital where an X-ray revealed that she had swallowed 37 aspirin-sized magnets, and the makers of Buckyballs issued a statement on its website relating to the incident.

"Buckyballs was saddened to learn that a 3-year old girl in Oregon had swallowed high-powered magnets but we are relieved that she is expected to make a full recovery. This unfortunate incident underscores the fact that Buckyballs and Buckycubes are for adults," the statement released on Monday read.

"They are not toys and are not intended for children. We urge all consumers to read and comply with the warnings we place on all our products, on our website and in stores. Please keep these products out of the hands and reach of all children," the statement added.

The toddler's recovery has been deemed as miraculous by some critics, who have pointed out that consumption of the powerful magnets can lead to a perforation of the intestines, intestinal blockage, blood poisoning and even death, according to The Washington Post.

Follow us Get CP eNewsletter ››

In January, 10-year-old Meredith DelPrete accidentally swallowed Buckyballs during what was intended as a harmless prank with friends, and was forced to have her appendix removed in order to avoid further health risks.

For some, Payton's frightening incident has drawn memories about 20-month-old Kenny Sweet from Redmond, Wash. who died just two days after complaining about an upset stomach which doctors established stemmed from swallowing magnets.

An autopsy found nine small magnets bunched together inside Kenny's stomach, which had caused a twisting of the bowel and a blood infection ultimately leading to his untimely death, according to MSN.

 

Videos that May Interest You

Toddler does unbelievable trick shots

Advertisement