- (Reuters/Alessandro Bianchi)
Amanda Knox was found not guilty of murdering her roommate Meredith Kercher, but the Daily Mail seemed to be anticipating a different outcome, as the British publication published a headline on the main page of its website Monday that read: "Guilty: Amanda Knox looks stunned as appeal against murder conviction is rejected."
The slip-up was caught by The Guardian journalist, Simon Ricketts, who posted a screenshot on Twitter. The link Ricketts shares, however, directs to a website owned by Malcolm Coles, who documents the Daily Mail's "hugely embarrassing" story on Amanda Knox being found guilty.
Several other tweeters picked up on the mistake and did not hesitate to take the Daily Mail to task.
Twitter user Abby McLachlan even referred to the newspaper as the "Daily Fail."
Other Twitter users were just as harsh.
Twitter user, @Suw tweeted: "So, Daily Mail, is Amanda Knox guilty or innocent? Aaah quality journalism."
@steelymax tweeted, "Further proof the Daily Mail is living in another reality."
@Gr3ant sarcastically tweeted, "#Knox is innocent. Except in the Daily Mail."
But @itsourhai was a little more sympathetic, when she tweeted: "Oh Daily Mail, I'm embarrassed for you."
The verdict was read today at approximately 4 p.m. EDT. Knox and her former boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito, had previously been convicted of sexually assaulting and murdering Kercher in 2007.
Knox was sentenced to 26 years in prison and Sollecito was handed 25 years. Rudy Guede, an Ivorian-born Italian citizen, was also found guilty of the murder. They all denied wrongdoing, CBSNews.com reported.
Today, Knox and Sollecito were both acquitted of the murder charges. Knox had given a heartfelt plea in fluent Italian, which she has learned over the last four years of being locked up in Italian prison. The case had been covered in depth by cable news television in the U.S. and has been of tremendous interest in Europe.
Headline News reported that Knox's passport might have expired during her time in prison and she will have to wait to get a new one before being able to leave Italy.
Guede chose a separate, "fast-track" trial, according to The Telegraph, and was sentenced to 30 years, but received 16 years after appeals. He has claimed to be innocent, but was convicted on DNA evidence.
Guede said that after hearing screams while in the bathroom, he rushed out to see what happened, only to be pushed aside by a knife-wielding Italian man who fled the scene. When Guede saw that Kercher had been attacked, he panicked and fled across the border to Germany.
He described the scene he came across in chilling terms, The Telegraph reported. "When I closed my eyes, I could only see red," Guede said. "I have never seen so much blood. All of that blood on her beautiful face."