Details surrounding the death of Amy Winehouse have begun to emerge today, and it has been claimed she purchased a combination of drugs that included cocaine, ecstasy and ketamine late on Friday evening in Camden.
Winehouse was found dead at her house on Saturday afternoon, and as yet police have still not been able to confirm the exact cause of death.
However, a source has reported to The People that Winehouse was seen buying a mixture of drugs in the hours before her death. Other reports have said that she was drinking heavily prior to her death.
According to the Sunday Mirror in Britain a “friend” of Winehouse has said she believes she died from a “bad” ecstasy pill that was mixed with a large amount of alcohol.
The friend said, “It was an ecstasy overdose. She could do cocaine until the cows come home. But this was obviously a dodgy pill.”
A post-mortem is scheduled for Sunday to determine the exact cause of death.
After news broke of her death, hundreds of fans and friends rushed outside her home to see if the news was true, and a memorial has been established with well-wishers leaving flowers and messages outside her home.
Winehouse’s management company, Metropolis Music, released a statement Sunday saying: “We are trying to come to terms with the death of a dear friend and colleague, the most amazing artist and talent.
“We will always remember Amy as a vibrant, funny, caring young woman who made everyone around her feel welcome. We have lost a very special person, part of our family.”
Winehouse’s mother Janis has told of her concern for her daughter when they met just 24 hours prior to her death. Janis said, “She seemed out of it. But her passing so suddenly still hasn’t hit me.”
The heartbroken mother described the final time she saw her daughter alive; Amy told her mother “I love you, Mum.”
Janis said, “They are the words I will always treasure and always remember Amy by.”
Winehouse’s father had just arrived in New York on a jazz tour when the news of his daughter’s death was reported to him. He said, “I’m coming home. I have to be with Amy. I can’t crack up for her sake. My family need me.”
A police spokesperson said in a press conference has confirmed that as yet no cause of death had yet been confirmed: “I am aware of reports of a suspected drugs overdose, but I would like to re-emphasize that no post-mortem has yet taken place and it would be inappropriate to speculate on the cause of death.
“The death of any person is a sad time of friends and family especially for someone known nationally and internationally like Amy Winehouse. My sympathy extends not only to her family but also to her millions of fans across the world.”
Winehouse's U.S. record label released a statement saying: “We are deeply saddened at the sudden loss of such a gifted musician, artist and performer. Our prayers go out to Amy's family, friends and fans at this difficult time.”