Another fiery report surfaced of an Apple iPhone 4 accident occurring in Brazil.
Several Brazilian news outlets broke the story of Ayla Mota’s iPhone model burning. Mashable recounted some of the details of the incident to its American readers.
Ayala Mota plugged in her iPhone 4 for overnight charging. While she was asleep, the smartphone started emitting sparks and flames. Mota slept only a foot away from the malfunctioning device. She was unharmed, however. Brazilian news reports said Mota did not know where to take her exploding iPhone for analysis.
The iPhone 4 was said to be bought in France, which prevented it from being covered with device insurance in Brazil.
Another related incident to the iPhone in France occurred in 2009.
A teenage boy claimed to have been struck in the eye when a piece of glass when his girlfriend's iPhone exploded. Apple's smartphone reportedly started hissing and the screen exploded thereafter.
Yesterday, a passenger's iPhone 4 emitted smoke while burning on a recent flight to Australia.
The iPhone 4 related to this occurrence reportedly started "emitting a significant amount of dense smoke, accompanied by a red glow." The incident took place on Regional Express flight ZL319 operating from Lismore to Sydney.
A Quantas flight attendant who was aboard the flight extinguished the red glow successfully, which some have speculated was a fire.
Australian airline Regional Express issued a press release regarding the incident: "The matter has been reported to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, as well as the Civil Aviation Safety Authority for investigation and directions."
Passengers were not harmed during the flight.
ABC News reported on the rate of Apple mobile devices exploding: "Exploding Apple products are rare, but explosions have happened in the past, mostly related to the devices’ lithium ion batteries overheating."
The news website also released information regarding recent investigations into Apple products.
"The European Union launched an investigation in 2009 after multiple instances of iPhones and iPod Touches exploding or catching fire midflight were reported in the United Kingdom, Holland, France and Sweden. Apple also recalled its first-generation of iPod nanos sold between September 2005 and December 2006 because the battery would overheat and ‘pose a safety risk,’ according to the company’s website,” said ABC News.
These incidents paint a unflattering picture of Apple's iPhone 4S, and Apple has offered no comments on these incidents thus far.