- REUTERS/Jessica Rinaldi
The State Health Department will not pursue its investigation into Lennox Hill hospital, and officially dismissed complaints that it received surrounding Beyonce's birth.
On Wednesday night, State Health Department spokesman Jeffrey Gordon confirmed that while the complaints had been reviewed, they had been disregarded, according to The Associated Press.
Beyonce Knowles, 30, gave birth to baby Blue Ivy Carter on Sunday at Manhattan's Lennox Hill hospital, and according to reports, the singer, along with husband Jay-Z , 42, spent in excess of $1.3 million for tight security during Beyonce's stay.
Various reports stated that the A-list couple had paid to rent out an entire wing at the hospital and for the extra security, which critics attacked as over-the-top.
The complaints came in after patients and visitors argued that they had been placed on “lockdown” by hospital security, ultimately jeopardizing their health and even preventing parents from visiting their newborns.
One couple explained their experience at the hospital during what otherwise should have been a celebratory time.
"Once they checked in there was high security everywhere ... It looked like the president was on our floor," new mother of twins, Rozz Nash-Coulon told AP.
"The hospital's security cameras were taped over. Internal windows from the hallways into the ward were blacked out," she said.
Doting new father, Neil Coulon, accused the hospital of engaging in class warfare and said it felt like "an exclusive nightclub."
"I know they spent $1.3 million and I'm just a contractor from Bed Stuy but the treatment we received was not okay," 39-year-old Coulon fumed.
"This is the NICU. Nobody cares if you’re a celebrity. Nobody is star-gazing. They just want to see their children. To have that circus roll into town and ruin our parade was unpleasant," he added.
Another State Health Department spokesperson said that while there had been a total of two complaints received there had been none directly from any parents, according to The New York Post.
"We do not have any first hand complaints, but we are still looking into it," Michael Moran told the tabloid.
Moran also said that one complaint had been anonymous, and the other from "a person who read about it."
Gordon refused to explain why the investigation was not being pursued, and calls from The Christian Post were not immediately returned.