Boko Haram has claimed responsibility for a jailbreak in central Nigeria that led to 119 inmates escaping.
"We staged the operation to rescue seven of our members there and Allah made it possible for the operation to be successful," said a man claiming to be Abul Qaqa, a spokesman for the terrorist organization told reporters.
The raid took place on Wednesday night and left one warden dead. One police offer told Nigeria's Daily Trust that approximately 20 gunmen on motorbikes attacked the jail with gunfire and bombing that lasted nearly 30 minutes.
"After bombing the gate, they immediately moved into the prison, shooting sporadically in order to chase other prison officers away," said one anonymous eyewitness.
Boko Haram has become increasingly violent in its tactics, killing over 185 people last month alone, bringing the total to 935 since its rise to power in 2009. Nigerian forces, under President Goodluck Jonathan, have been battling with the group and trying to maintain safety for all Nigerians.
On Monday it was announced that members of the Joint Task Force had engaged in gunfire with members of Boko Haram and had killed 12 members of the group.
"Yesterday, soldiers of the JTF were attacked in the Budum ward of Maiduguri by Boko Haram sect members. In the exchange of fire following the attack, 12 sect members were killed, while two members of the JTF sustained injuries," JTF spokesman Hassan Mohammed explained.
Andrew Azazi, Nigeria's national security adviser, told reporters that he suspected Boko Haram of receiving outside assistance in training. "I watched videos of their weapons training, which is very professional. They are also innovative in making improvised explosive devices. I want to believe very strongly that there is outside assistance."
As of press time, 25 escaped prisoners had been recaptured. Police are investigating the attack and searching for those still missing.