- (Photo: Reuters/Dan Lampariello)
A 20-year-old Saudi student was reportedly interviewed after the Boston marathon explosions Monday. After an initial interest in the victim, authorities have confirmed that there are still no suspects in the investigation.
Federal and state law enforcement agents took no chances and searched an apartment in a building in the man's hometown of Revere, Mass. after he was seen at the scene of the explosions, which killed three and injured more than 170.
The man is being treated in hospital after suffering burns and shrapnel wounds to his legs in the blasts, which have been described as small, homemade devices. Police highlighted that the initial suspicion of the man came from civilians, not officers.
"They see him running away from the device. Now, a reasonable person would be running away. But this person had noticed him before. This is a civilian-- chases him down, tackles him, turns him over to the Boston police," a law enforcement source told CBS News.
"The individual is being looked at [and] was suffering from burn injury. That means this person was pretty close to wherever this blast went off, but not so close as to suffer the serious injuries that other people did," the source added.
At approximately 2:50 p.m. a bomb allegedly hidden in a garbage can was detonated amid a crowd of spectators on Boylston Street, just off Copley Square. Within seconds a second bomb, which was several hundred feet away, also exploded.
John Miller, a CBS News special correspondent and a former assistant director at the FBI, confirmed Tuesday that the Saudi national was interviewed along with all other victims. Rumors about him began flying not soon after the bombing from various media outlets, which were put to rest with repeated updates from authorities at multiple press conferences.
"The Saudi national is ... here on a student visa. He was at the scene along with many other people when the blast happened. As everybody is standing in shock, three Boston PD detectives see this guy moving quickly out of the crowd. As they're watching him, he seems to be moving very deliberately away-- which could be a very natural thing after a bombing-- they stop him because he's covered with blood ... they think he may be injured ... they engage him, they start asking questions ... they arranged to get him to the hospital," Miller said.
The man reportedly told police that he had enjoyed dinner with friends Sunday and that he attended the marathon because he simply "wanted to see the end of the race," according to the The New York Post.
He reportedly also asked about other victims.
The student remains in the hospital as the FBI continues to investigate what has been deemed one of the worst terrorist attacks since 9/11.
8-year-old Martin Richard of Dorchester was identified Tuesday as one of the three victims killed in the Boston marathon blasts.
So far at least 18 of the 170 injured are said to be in a critical condition and a number of victims may need amputations or major corrective surgery on maimed limbs. The youngest reported victim is said to be a 2-year-old who is being treated for a head injury; the oldest injured victim is said to be in their 70s.
To see footage of the explosion, click below (WARNING: Graphic content and language).