The Texas EquuSearch filed a lawsuit against Casey Anthony on Tuesday, hoping to recoup from the defendant the massive costs spent on the 2008 search.
Accusing her of two counts of fraud and unjust enrichment, the search group claims that Casey allowed the organization to search for her daughter, Caylee, even though she knew she was dead.
More than $100,000 was spent on the search –one of the group’s most expensive and extensive searches – and additionally, the organization explained that they were forced to turn down 15 other families during the search for Caylee.
“It was Jose Baez’s opening statement when he said Caylee was never missing because she had died, that got me really upset,” Tim Miller, Texas EquuSearch founder told the Orlando Sentinel. “We were lied to and misled.”
Baez had previously alleged that Caylee was never missing: “Caylee Anthony died June 16th 2008 when she drowned in her family’s swimming pool.”
The complaint filed against the 25-year-old explained how Casey deceived Miller when he met with the Anthony family back in August 2008.
Based on Cindy Anthony’s request to TES to search for her granddaughter, Miller flew to Orlando and spoke with Cindy, George, Casey, and Jose Baez as well to determine whether or not his organization would help with the search.
“Cindy and George Anthony told Mr. Miller, in the presence of Casey Anthony, that Caylee was still alive,” the complaint reads. “Casey Anthony did not correct, question or otherwise comment on the representations made by her parents, Cindy and George Anthony, that Caylee was alive.”
“In fact, Casey Anthony likewise told Mr. Miller that Caylee was alive, and asked him to please bring her back... Casey Anthony never told Mr. Miller that Caylee was, in fact, dead.”
Casey had lied to her family, friends, and law enforcement in 2008 when questioned about her daughter’s whereabouts, saying that a nanny by the name of Zenaida Gonzalez kidnapped Caylee. The nanny never materialized and was later declared to be imaginary.
Believing Casey’s story, Miller agreed that TES would assist in the search and organized and managed two of the largest searches it had ever conducted, in September and November of 2008.
Over 4,200 people across 13 states volunteered in the coordinated searches, “dedicating tens of thousands of hours to the searches.”
TES claimed that the search for Caylee consumed 40 percent of its annual budget.
Only seeking to recover compensatory damages, Miller told the Orlando Sentinel, “We have no agenda other than to recoup the money and use it for which it was intended.”
An attorney in the suit plans to take Casey’s deposition on July 19th, two days after her release from jail, according to Reuters. A motion was filed on Wednesday compelling Casey’s appearance at the deposition, threatening to hold her in contempt of court if she failed to do so.
Security measures will be taken and the deposition will be closed to the public and the media.
This suit marks the second civil court case against Casey. Previously, a woman with the same name as the alleged babysitter who purportedly kidnapped Caylee filed a defamation lawsuit against Casey.