- (Photo: Reuters/Jumana El Heloueh)
The U.S. will grant an additional $26m in aid for victims of the war in Libya, Secretary of State Hilary Clinton announced Thursday.
The statement, given at an international coalition meeting, reveals how the global community is already planning for a post-Gaddafi era in Libya.
The Libyan Contact Group met in Abu Dhabi, where Italy also vowed to provide $580m to support expenses faced by Libyan opposition party, the Transitional National Council. France and Italy are among a small number of countries to have already given recognition to the TNC as the legitimate government of Libya.
Kuwait also stated that it would donate $180m towards the humanitarian needs in the North African country.
The progressive meeting heard Clinton urge the coalition to maintain its resolve and to sustain pressure on Libya leader Gaddafi. She said, “Time is on our side, but we know we must sustain the pressure. Gaddafi's isolation is growing, as evidenced by the increasing number of calls for his departure.”
She added, “The violence must stop. Gaddafi must go!”
The conference was held as NATO increased the intensity of its airstrikes on Tripoli, the capital of Libya. However, Gaddafi’s forces have so far withheld the onslaught.
Gaddafi’s own forces have recently launched a new offensive against the rebel-held port city of Misrata, where thousands have died since fighting broke out in March.
NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said Wednesday that it would continue its offensive “for as long as it takes to bring this crisis to an early conclusion”.
“Gaddafi’s reign of terror is coming to an end,” he said.