Multiple reports falsely claiming that a suspect had been arrested in the Boston bombings were a result of miscommunication with a source.
At least three major news networks reported on Wednesday that a suspect in the Boston marathon bombings had been arrested and taken to the federal court. In response, a large crowd of reporters and citizens began to gather outside the government building.
"A suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings was taken into custody Wednesday in a breakthrough that came less than 48 hours after the deadly attack, a law enforcement official briefed on the investigation said Wednesday," the Associated Press reported at around 2 p.m. E.T.
CNN and Fox News also ran similar headlines. The FBI later confirmed that they had suspect but did not have any person in custody.
"Contrary to widespread reporting, no arrest has been made in connection with the Boston Marathon attack. Over the past day and a half, there have been a number of press reports based on information from unofficial sources that has been inaccurate," an FBI official said in a press statement.
CNN reported that the claims of an arrest were made after being confirmed by sources.
"Sources previously told CNN that a suspect was in custody, but both Boston police and the FBI denied that any arrests had been made," the news site said, blaming the false report on a lack of clarity. "A Boston law enforcement source told CNN, 'We got him,' but wouldn't clarify whether that meant a suspect has been identified or arrested."
Two men connected to the bombings through video captured by nearby store cameras have been named as "high interest" to the FBI. Officials are attempting to identify those two men at this point in the investigation. In the meantime, officials have asked for patience.
"What I would say and I would ask of everyone is we give law enforcement the space to do their work," Gov. Deval Patrick told CNN.