Edward Archbold, 32, died after participating in a very unique eating contest in order to claim an ivory-ball python. Archbold's death is currently being investigated, but what makes it especially unique is what made up his last meal.
According to the Broward Sheriff's Office, Archbold and many others signed up for the competition, which included eating giant cockroaches, worms, and crickets. Barry managed to take home the prize, a female graphite ivory-ball python.
Earlier in the evening, he posted on Facebook, "Also side note im NOW in a super worm eating comp now…whatever the [expletive] a super worm is?" He claimed victory in that competition, making for an accomplished night. Archbold, though, soon fell ill after both competitions, collapsed and was later pronounced dead.
An autopsy is being conducted to determine an official cause of death, which may or may not be related to the night's competitions.
"The consumption of insects is widely accepted throughout the world, and the insects presented as part of the contest were taken from an inventory of insects that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles," attorney Luke Lirot posted on Facebook.
Entomologist Michael Adams, of the University of California, Riverside, told the Associated Press he had never heard of one dying after consuming roaches.
"Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don't think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat. Some people do have allergies to roaches but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects."
Competitive-eating trials are constantly taking place in the United States, with one of the most famous being the Nathan's Coney Island hot dog eating competition. This year's winner, Joey Chestnut, managed to consume 68 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes.
"I feel good; it was a great win. I tried my best. I'm looking forward to next year already," Chestnut told the press.
The python that Archbold won has been given to his estate to handle.