During an event that was supposed to be about firearm safety in Virginia, an unfortunate couple was accidentally shot.
The Bedford County Sheriff's Office explained to local media outlets that Michael L. Deel was attending a guns safety class when the .45-caliber handgun he was holding accidently discharged, sending the bullet through his hand. His wife, Michelle, was sitting next to him at the time of the shot and was also hit in the leg.
The incident occurred Saturday during a firearms safety class which was being held in a private residence in Bedford County. Thomas Starke, the class instructor, told police that he had momentarily left the room when he heard the gun discharge.
When Starke returned to the room he found two people with gunshot wounds. He also told police that there were five other people in the room when the gun went off.
The Deel's were taken to a local hospital where they were treated and later released for non-life-threatening injuries.
When Michael Deel was contacted by local media he explained that the shooting was a "stupid accident."
This is not the first gunshot victim at a gun safety event.
A man was recently attending a local gun show in Georgia when he accidentally shot himself in the leg.
Police reported that 26-year-old Charles Lake was leaving a gun show which was being held at the Savannah Civic Center. He had the weapon in his possession, and while reloading, the firearm suddenly discharged a round that went into his own leg.
Savannah-Chatham police spokesman Julian Miller said that Lake had bought the pistol at the gun show the day before. Lake returned to the gun show the next day to purchase another firearm.
According to reports Lake was reloading his pistol while he was in the parking lot at the civic center because of the rule banning loaded firearms while participants are inside the gun show.