One of PBS' most popular shows in the network's history, "Downton Abbey," returned to American television this past Sunday. In the past, it was rumored the show could be ending after season 5. Will the show disappoint fans and end so soon? Read on to see what executive producer Gareth Neame has to say about the fate of "Downton Abbey."
Just two years ago, Gareth Neame indicated the show could end after season five in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter.
"We have to balance between continuing to make it for audiences around the world that adore it and making sure that we don't take it too far … which is not now and not next year, but likely five years or six years, not 10 years," he said.
Furthermore, in an interview with The Wall Street Journal, the series creator Julian Fellowes indicated the show might not advance beyond a fifth season.
"I don't know yet if there is a season six, but it's not going to go on forever. It won't be Perry Mason," he said.
However, it seems Neame has changed his mind, as he confirmed in a recent interview with E! News. Neame even addressed Julian Fellowes' comments.
"I can confirm that there are no plans to end the show after the fifth series. ITV commission each series on a year-by-year basis. In an interview given to The Wall Street Journal (published December 31, 2013), Julian Fellowes stated that the show would not go on forever (inevitable of course and something both he and I have been on the record for previously). For now ITV have commissioned series five and that is what we are busy preparing," the executive producer said.