God's plan for all of us includes having a sound mind until the day we go home to be with Him. It is good to know that God has a pathway for each of us to maintain a healthy memory and a sharp mind.
A full range of concerns fall under the realm of brain and mental function...And it's not just maturing baby-boomers who are affected: failing memory, mental fatigue, inability to concentrate, anxiety, headache, and reduced learning function can strike people of any age.
But God has already provided many natural elements for helping us to maintain a healthy memory and a sharp mind. This is as He promised: "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind" (2 Timothy 1:7).
Some of those elements include:
• B-vitamins (primarily folic acid, B6 and B12) – Studies have shown that if you get low on these vitamins, it will negatively affect your memory. As we get older, our absorption of the B-vitamins decreases, making supplementation even more important.
• Ginseng – A central nervous system stimulant, ginseng has been shown to moderate central nervous system functions, including temperament, concentration, reflex, learning and memory.
• Ginkgo biloba – Long known as the "brain herb", ginkgo increases blood flow and oxygen to the brain. Studies have shown that ginkgo can help in cases of decreased short-term memory, decreased concentration, confusion, depression and anxiety.
• Antioxidants – Antioxidants "clean up" the free radicals that can cause tremendous cell damage, including in the brain. Some of the antioxidants specifically involved are vitamins E, C, alpha-lipoic acid, selenium, anthocyanins, and flavonoids. (Citrus bioflavonoids complex contains both vitamin C and flavonoids.)
• Rosemary Leaf – Rosemary has traditionally been known to increase concentration and memory, and to relieve stress.
• Bacopa – Bacopa has long been used in the Ayurvedic herbal tradition to enhance clear thinking and support memory function.
There are also natural derivatives that have been shown to play a role in improving mental function. Research has shown that taking smaller amounts of these derivatives in combination can be more effective than taking larger amounts of just one.
• Vinpocetine (a periwinkle derivative) – Vinpocetine is a vasodilator that helps increase blood flow, thereby increasing oxygen and other nutrients to the brain. It also increases glucose utilization in the brain. Research results show that vinpocetine can improve memory and concentration, and improve absentmindedness.
• Huperzine A (a club moss derivative) – Studies have shown that Huperzine A can increase the neurotransmitter acetylcholine in the brain. Acetylcholine is the "memory molecule" that communicates memories between different parts of our brain. As we age, acetylcholine decreases; Huperzine A slows that process, allowing memories to remain intact.
• Phosphatidylserine, or PS (a soy derivative) – All of our nerves, nerve linings and nerve sheaths are made up of PS, a fatty-type lipid membrane. More than 25 human tests have shown that taking PS helps to improve memory and learning performance.
Memory & Mental Support contains all of these natural elements and derivatives to provide a full spectrum of support for a healthy mind. The brain-boosting combination of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and specialized nutrients can help enhance your memory, improve your ability to concentrate, help your brain process information more quickly, and reduce mental fatigue.
In addition to these natural supplements, there are a number of foods that are considered "brain food" and should be an important part of your diet. These foods include fish, nuts, grapes, blueberries/blackberries, black and green teas, peppers, and carotene-rich vegetables.
Exercise, both physical and mental, is another wonderful way to keep our minds sharp. The brain is like a muscle – if you continue to exercise it, it will continue to stay strong; if you don't, it will grow weaker. Continue to challenge yourself mentally and intellectually to keep your brain strong.
And keeping your heart and cardiovascular system healthy through physical exercise will keep your blood flowing strong to your brain. Exercise also lowers stress and releases endorphins that can improve your mood.
Follow these steps to stay on the pathway to the clear, focused mind God intended!