- (Photo: In Touch Ministries)
If you were lost in the woods, you'd be very thankful to find a compass in your pocket. Chances are you would not ignore its guidance by following your own hunch about which direction was north.
Like a compass, Scripture provides sure guidance for the Christian life. One particularly helpful passage is Proverbs 3:5-6, because it summarizes four key truths that will keep you heading the right way.
1. Trust God. The Lord deserves your complete confidence because He never changes (Heb. 13:8; James 1:17).
2. Do not rely on your own understanding. Since human minds are finite, comprehension is limited. Only God is omniscient. He sees everything, including thoughts and motives (Heb. 4:13).
3. Acknowledge Him in all your ways. As the Creator of all and the designer of salvation, God has the right to plan every life. He knits each person together in the womb, provides redemption through Jesus Christ, and gives spiritual gifts to be used on His behalf. Just as a child will look to his father for help, believers are to depend upon their heavenly Father. And when successful, they are to acknowledge how the Lord enabled. Otherwise, pride can lead in a harmful direction.
4. God promises to make your paths straight. Spiritually, the direct route is faster and easier to travel. But it is not obstacle-free. As you follow the first three points, the Father will work to overcome barriers along the way. Will you follow God's compass and trust Him? By rejecting self-reliance and acknowledging dependence on Him, you will stay on the straight path of godliness.