As we study the Bible, we see from Genesis to Revelation the emphasis that God has placed on natural substances and that He uses them to bring about the manifestation of our healing.
An herb is a plant whose flowers, leaves, or roots contain chemicals that have a potent effect on the human body for healing. There are various terms used these days for herbal medicines – nutraceuticals, botanicals, herbal remedies – but the bottom line is that God provided certain plants with chemicals in them that can act in the human body to promote healing under His direction.
Can plants be as effective as prescription medicines? Considering that 40 percent of our prescription medicines come from the plant kingdom (for example, aspirin and morphine), the answer is a clear “yes.” Sometimes the mild dosages that herbs provide are a sign of God’s wisdom.
In past centuries, people used herbs as part of medical treatment. Then modern medicine evolved away from this practice and depended on synthetic drugs. Today, trends are moving back the other direction, with herbs representing one of the fastest-growing segments of health food stores and pharmacies.
Here are some commonly used herbs commonly and their benefits:
• Valerian Root is a mild, non-habit forming sedative.
• White Willow Bark is the natural source of salicin, used as a pain reliever and anti-inflammatory. Aspirin is derived from salicylic acid.
• Ginger Root and Ginger Extract are used for many ailments, including digestive problems and to help combat inflammation.
• Hawthorn , God’s original ACE drug, helps strengthen the heart muscle.
• Feverfew is mainly used to manage headache problems, and has a strong effect on the blood vessels and the inflammatory response around the blood vessels.
• Milk Thistle can help protect and restore liver function.
• Cinnamon Bark has traditionally been used to aid with digestion, but cinnamon has now also been found to stabilize and even lower blood sugar.
• Astragalus has been shown to be effective as an immune-restoring substance and increase natural killer cells.
• Saw Palmetto has been used for centuries as a natural treatment for the symptoms of an enlarged prostate. It contains the same chemical as popular prescription medications to treat the same symptoms.
• Black Cohosh has shown ver positive results in treating symptoms associated with menopause and perimenopause.
• Ginkgo has shown good results in helping with circulation and memory.
Because herbs can be so potent, they need to be taken with precaution. Some herbs can have serious side effects, and others can cause allergies or even death if taken incorrectly or in excess. Herbs are also not regulated for potency or purity in the United States, so it is important that the source is reputable and meets strict manufacturing standards. Also ask your healthcare provider if there are interactions with any medications you may be taking.
Let the Holy Spirit guide you through prayer and through God’s peace so that you can obtain herbs that will allow God’s healing anointing to flow through them and help your body.