- (Photo: Reuters/Pennsylvania State Attorney General's Office)
Former Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky will face six of his alleged sex abuse victims in a preliminary hearing of his case next Tuesday, according to an attorney representing one of his accusers.
The lawyer, who spoke with The Associated Press on condition of anonymity, told the news agency that six young men whose testimonies appear in the grand jury indictment against Sandusky will face questioning during the hearing. The judge overseeing the case will decide if there is enough evidence to move the case forward to a trial.
Sandusky, a married father of six adopted children, was charged in November with 40 felony and misdemeanor counts of sexually abusing eight boys ranging in age from 7 or 8 years old to about 15 over a period of 15 years.
The 67-year-old Pennsylvania resident has denied repeatedly, in interviews observers describe as "creepy," that he is not a pedophile.
In a recent interview with The New York Times, Sandusky, when asked if he is attracted to young boys, said: "If I say, 'no, I'm not attracted to young boys,' that's not the truth because I'm attracted to young people -- boys, girls." Sandusky has previously admitted to showering and horsing around with young boys.
Attorney Joe Amendola, representing Sandusky, says he is looking forward to the preliminary hearing.
"We will, for the very first time, have the opportunity to face Jerry's accusers and question them under oath about their allegations," Amendola said in a statement Monday, according to the AP. "We look forward to this opportunity."
The news agency reports that the courthouse in Bellefonte, Pa., will likely be packed with throngs of reporters and spectators.
Prosecutors claim that Sandusky found his victims through The Second Mile, a charity he started 34 years ago. The foundation, geared toward helping at-risk and underprivileged youth, announced its closure in the wake of the scandal, according to a Nov. 18 report from The New York Times.