The issue of national security leaks is the responsibility of the President, John McCain said Sunday, questioning Obama's approach to the situation.
McCain has stated that President Obama is responsible for recent national security leaks, regardless of whether he was aware that the information had been leaked or not.
"It's obvious on its face that this information came from individuals who are in the administration," McCain said on CNN's "State of the Union." "The president may not have done it himself, but the president certainly is responsible as commander-in-chief."
The most recent leak was published last week by The New York Times after the news publication revealed classified detailed regarding a U.S. cyberattack on Iran's nuclear centrifuge program.
"Other recent possible leaks of classified information included details on the administration's efforts to expand its drone program and Obama's involvement in 'kill lists' against militants in Yemen and Pakistan," CNN repoted.
President Obama has continuously denied leaking any of the classified details.
"The notion that my White House would purposely release classified national security information is offensive, it's wrong, and people, I think, need to have a better sense of how I approach this office and how the people around me approach this office," Obama said on Friday.
The President also stated that the leaked information posed a risk which the White House would not willingly have taken.
"We're dealing with issues that can touch on the safety and security of the American people, our families, or our military personnel, or our allies," Obama said. "And so we don't play with that."
McCain also questioned Obama's delegation of the issue to Attorney General Eric Holder, who assigned two U.S. attorneys to look into the matter.
"This investigation involves some of the most serious breaches of national security in recent memory and any investigation must be done in a manner free and clear of political considerations," McCain said in a statement.