Kate Middleton's privacy has once again been breached after two Australian radio personalities called the hospital where she is staying and were able to obtain private information about the Duchess' condition. Both the hospital and radio station have announced that they regret the incident and are leading investigations into the breach of privacy.
Mel Greig and Michael Christian took to the airwaves in order to learn valuable information about Middleton's current status. They posed as Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles and were able to speak directly with one of Kate's nurses. The nurse gave out privileged information, which the British press has kept from the public so far.
While many may think that the entire story is a hoax, a spokesman from King Edward VII's confirmed the call.
"King Edward VII's Hospital Sister Agnes can confirm that an Australian radio station made a hoax call to the hospital in the early hours of Tuesday morning," the representative said. "This call was transferred through to a ward and a short conversation was held with one of the nursing staff. King Edward VII's Hospital deeply regrets this incident."
The only information the British press is releasing so far is that the nurse told the DJs Kate was "sleeping at the moment and has had an uneventful night. She's been given some fluids; she's stable at the moment."
The hospital's boss, John Lofthouse, told the Daily Mail said it was a "foolish prank that we all deplore." It's sure to lead to tighter security measures for the royal family while they remain at the hospital. Right now it's uncertain how long Kate will be at the hospital, though everyone is hoping for a quick release.
A spokesman for the radio station 2Day FM "sincerely" apologized "for any inconvenience caused by the inquiry to Kate's hospital. The radio segment was done with the best intentions and we wish Kate and her family all the best," he said in a statement.
Many have railed against the hospital's lack of respect and security for the royal family, which is prone to hoaxes and security breaches. Earlier this year Kate and William's privacy was invaded when a photographer took and published photographs of the Duchess while she was topless. They later sued the photographer and had the photos' publication stopped.
St. James Palace has not issued a statement regarding the situation, but it's likely to be one that William will take seriously, given his wife and child's condition and all they have already been through. William already had a distaste for the media, given his mother's tenuous relationship with paparazzi and her eventual death, which many blamed on the media.
William has not spoken directly to the media since Kate entered the hospital, even though they have surrounded him every time he comes and goes from the site. St. James Palace issued a statement on their behalf, saying that they are "immensely grateful for the good wishes they have received."
Listen to an edited version of the prank call here: