Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) announced on Tuesday on her official website that she will not be seeking a fifth congressional term and she will not be running for re-election in 2014.
"After a great deal of thought and deliberation, I have decided next year I will not seek a fifth congressional term," Bachmann said in the 8 ½ minute video. "After serious consideration, I am confident that this is the right decision."
The Minnesota Republican, who assumed office in January 2007, also ran for the GOP presidential nomination in 2012, but lost to Mitt Romney.
Addressing her supporters, Bachmann explained in the video that her decision not to run for re-election is not based on any concerns that she will not be able to win.
"I have every confidence that if I ran, I would again defeat the individual who I defeated last year, who recently announced he is once again running," Bachmann stressed, referring to Democrat Jim Graves, whom she defeated in her 2012 congressional campaign by only 4,298 votes.
"And rest assured, this decision was not impacted in any way by the recent inquiries into the activities of my former presidential campaign or my former presidential staff."
Last month, reports said that the FBI was joining an investigation into alleged misconduct by Bachmann's 2012 presidential campaign.
"It was clearly understood that compliance with all rules and regulations was an absolute necessity for my presidential campaign. And I have no reason to believe that that was not the case," Bachmann explained.
The 57-year-old congresswoman assured constituents that over the remaining 18 months of her office, she will continue working 100-hour weeks, and will continue fighting for conservative constitutional principles, such as protecting "innocent human life," traditional marriage, family values, religious liberty and academic excellence.
In the video, Bachmann goes on to accuse the Obama administration of failing the American people in a number of ways, including an alleged cover-up of the terrorist attacks on the U.S. consulate in Libya in September 2012 that left four Americans dead.
"Unfortunately today I am even more concerned about our country's future than I've ever been in the past," Bachmann noted. "On so many issues, we're clearly on the wrong track."
As to her future political career, Bachmann did not share any specifics, but assured constituents that she will continue being open to any public service opportunity that can help the country.
"Looking forward at the completion of my term, my future is full, it is limitless, and my passions for America will remain," the congresswoman said.
Bachmann noted that she fully anticipates "the mainstream, liberal media to put a detrimental spin on my decision," but said that she takes being the focus of their attention "as a true compliment of my public-service effectiveness."
As an outspoken Christian who has often leaned on her faith during her public service career, Bachmann concluded her message by thanking God.
"I want to thank God for His blessings upon the United States of America. It is God who has given me the strength, the conviction, and the personal fortitude to fight to enhance the safety, security, longevity and well-being of our blessed nation."
Michele Bachmann's video message: