CP World

Monday, Jul 28, 2014

Norway Bombing, Shootings: Top Suspect Anders Behring Breivik Confesses Massacre

  • (Reuters/Andrew Berwick)
    A picture of Anders Behring Breivik taken from a book downloaded from a link posted on the Norwegian discussion website, www.freak.no, and entitled "2083 - A European Declaration of Independence", is seen in this screen grab made July 23, 2011. The 2083 book is signed by an Andrew Berwick, the author says within the document that Andrew Berwick is an Anglicised version of Anders Breivik. Anders Behring Breivik, 32, was arrested after Friday's massacre of young people on a tiny forested holiday island that was hosting the annual summer camp for the youth wing of Norway's ruling Labour party. Breivik, a Norwegian, was also charged with the bombing of Oslo's government district that killed seven people hours earlier. It was not possible to verify who uploaded link to the book, which was posted on July 22.
July 23, 2011|11:12 pm

The man accused and arrested for the Oslo bombing and youth camp massacre in Norway has admitted his guilt, according to his lawyer Saturday evening.

Anders Behring Breivik, 32, has said that although his actions were “gruesome” they were “necessary”. His lawyer has said Breivik plans to explain his actions to the court when he has a hearing on Monday.

Norwegian police arrested Breivik in the aftermath of the terror attacks, and described him to media as a “right-wing fundamentalist Christian.”

The atrocities are the worst Norway has seen since World War II, with at least 85 people confirmed dead from the Utoya Island shootings. The isolated island is situated nearly 20 miles northwest of Oslo, and was hosting about 600 campers. It appears that many had gathered in the camp’s assembly hall to be informed about the earlier bombings in Oslo.

The death toll is expected to rise in the coming days as police continue to search for missing people in the aftermath of the attacks.

Authorities have said that four people from the youth camp shootings are yet to be found, and it is believed some may have drowned or have been shot in the water as they tried to escape.

The number may also rise from the Oslo bombing, as certain parts of the government buildings are still too dangerous for emergency services to conduct a full search of yet. It is feared that more bodies will be found once they are able to access all parts of the building.

On Saturday evening, Breivik's lawyer Geir Lippestad told Norwegian media, “He thought it was gruesome having to commit these acts, but in his head they were necessary.”

His lawyer also indicated that the attacks had been planned for a while.

A YouTube video of Breivik was briefly available showing him carrying automatic weapons. The video titled “Knights Templar 2083” was about 12 minutes long and had a strong anti-Islamic theme to it.

Consistent with his lawyers claims, a massive 1,500 page document was posted online by Breivik just hours before the Oslo bombing took place. The document again talks about the Knights Templar, and also rants on about Islamic immigration in Norway, as well as perceived problems with multiculturalism.

President Obama has sent his condolences to Norway and to the families of victims.

Source URL : http://www.christianpost.com/news/norway-bombings-shootings-suspect-anders-behring-breivik-admits-killings-52753/