(Photo: Reuters/Wolfgang Rattay)
Norway police found an abandoned suitcase on a bus at Oslo’s Central Station sending panic through the city center following last week’s terror attacks. Officials, however, quickly moved in to inspect the suspect bag and have taken it away using a robot. Reports are now claiming the suitcase posed no imminent danger.
Just five days after last week’s massacre, where a car bomb planted by Anders Behring Breivik ripped apart the government district of Oslo, police are investigating anything suspicious that may be linked to the suspect or the other 2 cells he claims to have worked with.
“Nothing was found that was of interest to the police,” said police chief superintendant Tore Barstad to reporters on Wednesday, speaking about the suitcase.
Upon finding another suspicious suitcase, Oslo’s main train station was evacuated as a safety precaution, according to public broadcaster NRK. In that incident a bomb squad dog was summoned to help investigate the suitcase.
“A bag apparently with no owner was found next to platform 19. The area around the platform was evacuated. Therefore trains and buses do not travel in this area,” railways spokesman Olav Nordli told news agency NTB.
The suspect, Anders Behring Breivik has admitted to carrying out the attacks at his court hearing on Monday. He says he committed the atrocities in order to begin a war against European Islamization which he blames on the multiculturalism of Europe, according to his 1500-page Manifesto released online before the attacks.
The attacks carried out by Breivik involved a viscous bombing and terrifying shooting, which killed 76 people and left scores injured.
He is now in custody and charged with terrorism offenses. Breivik’s lawyer has stated his belief Tuesday that his client probably is insane, although he added it was too early to determine whether that would be pleaded in his defense.