Do you feel as though you have tried every diet on the market, but none have given you results that last? Is the attempt to maintain or lose weight a daily struggle that is zapping the fun out of your day? If so, it is likely that your metabolism may need a natural boost. What is your metabolism? It is the rate at which your body burns calories to sustain life. Unfortunately, chronic dieting (i.e. the continual process of gaining and losing weight) can slow down your metabolism and make losing weight feel more like an exercise in futility. Other factors that can affect metabolic function include age, muscle mass, genetics, dehydration, thyroid function and stress.
In order to kick-start your metabolism and get the pounds to start falling off, there a few tricks of the nutritional trade that can be of enormous benefit. In addition to following the steps below, I highly recommend visiting Truestar's Weight Loss section and following our metabolic booster plan. This plan offers hundreds of personalized meal plans that are perfectly matched to help you lose weight while enjoying delicious food options.
The steps to boosting your metabolic engine naturally include:
1. Increase your protein consumption for an eight-week period. By doing so, you will release more of the hormone glucagon (insulins opposite) which facilitates fat loss. This does not mean that you should exclude carbohydrates from your diet. On the contrary, your body will require low glycemic index carbohydrates in the form of vegetables, most fruits and a modest amount of whole grains. However, increasing your protein consumption at each meal will help get the weight-loss ball rolling. Ideal sources of protein include chicken, turkey, wild Atlantic salmon, white tuna, tilapia, sole, veggie/soy burgers, egg whites, eggs, protein powder and occasional lean beef.
2. Drink three cups of green tea daily. Research by the University of Geneva shows that green tea appears to increase metabolic rate and speed up fat oxidation Compounds in green tea speed up the rate at which calories are burned and therefore increase overall energy expenditure leading to weight loss..
3. Add high quality supplements that are safe and that help boost metabolism in order to lose excess pounds to your diet. TrueLEAN II is a high quality supplement that combines compounds from green tea and a weight-loss combination containing chromium and conjugated linoleic acid that properly support and facilitate your weight-loss program.
4. Investigate the possibility of food allergies or sensitivities. Foods that you react to tend to cause your body to cling to excess fat making weight loss extremely difficult. The most common food sensitivities include dairy, wheat and soy. An elimination diet can help get to the bottom of your potential food allergies or sensitivities. Simply eliminate the suspected food irritant for a 3-week period. Following the 3-week period, introduce the food (i.e. dairy or wheat) and monitor symptoms that may occur such as bloating, constipation, runny nose, dark circles under the eyes, dry skin (eczema) or frequent colds or infections.
5. Increase caloric expenditure by exercising. Pick your favorite activity and start moving. Whether it is joining a gym, engaging in group sports or working out at home, the key is to start exercising a minimum of 30 minutes three times a day. In addition, muscle burns more calories in comparison to fat. In other words, the greater your muscle capacity, the more likely you are to lose weight. Incorporating a gym or home weight-training program into your exercise regime three times a week can do wonders for your metabolism. Visit Truestars Exercise section to learn more.
6. Be happy! Research shows that an increase of stress and anxiety can increase your secretion of the hormone cortisol. Cortisol kicks up your appetite for the wrong types of food sugary, refined carbohydrates such as candy, muffins, bread, cakes, cookies and cereal. These types of food will trigger another release of the hormone insulin. Hormone fluctuations result in excessive storage of fat in the place you dont want it -- your stomach! If you do feel stressed out and anxious on a daily basis, start working out, mediating, journaling, talking to a friend or making a necessary life change that perhaps you have put on hold for one reason or another.
Remember, there is no such thing as a fixed metabolic rate or an inability to lose weight. You can increase your metabolism for good by following the simple and foolproof methods above. If after following our metabolic booster plan, taking the proper supplements and working out regularly you are not successfully losing weight, I recommend visiting your health care practitioner to have your thyroid levels investigated.