- (Photo: Reuters/Eric Thayer)
The Sandy Hook hoax video creator has spoken out, offering more details about the motives behind the controversial truther video into the Newtown, Connecticut shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School last month, and why they believed it was necessary to make the videos despite knowing they would receive strong backlash.
The creator has corresponded with popular site Gawker to answer some questions, but has requested to remain anonymous "due to the sensitivity of the channel and my concern for my security," and asked to be known only as the YouTube user name that uploaded the videos, "ThinkOutsideTheTV" (TOTV).
TOTV has created two videos so far, the first of which went hugely viral garnering millions of views on YouTube in a matter of days. The video sparked strong backlash from those who believe the video is insensitive to those suffering in the tragedy, however, the videos have also had their share of supporters offering support and saying questions need to be asked and should be asked.
Speaking to Gawker by email, TOTV explained when conspiracies first grabbed his attention, "[I]t all started when me and my friends used to research 9/11 in high school. That's what really got me started when it came to researching government cover ups [...] Once I learned about all the false flag attacks in history that have been proven to be true, I knew it was only a matter of time before another came a long."
Specifically about the Sandy Hook massacre, in which 20 first grade children and 6 adults were gunned down by lone shooter, Adam Lanza, TOTV told the publication: "When Sandy Hook first happened i just had a feeling like it was all too perfect. I just had this feeling deep down that these people and the whole town had this artificial vibe about them."
The video has been criticized by some experts in conspiracy theory circles as just asking questions and not actually unveiling any kind of hoax or conspiracy. However, to that TOTV explained, "I never intended to expose who was behind it because I dont know, and I could be wrong. But history repeats itself and i'm really glad people are waking up to it. [...] People seem to mistake my video for exploitation of victims and children and that is totally wrong."
TOTV added, "As I said in the beginning of the video, we in no way claim this shooting did not take place and our hearts go out to anyone affected by the tragedy, weather one person was responsible or another."
The second "truther" video was labeled "Sandy Hook Fully Exposed - OFFICIAL PART 2" and was uploaded on Jan. 19, 2013. It continues to pose similar questions as the first video, questioning why some website pages related to the tragedy were seemingly created prior to the incident, and why there was no extensive coverage of the hundreds of children being evacuated from the school that day.
- (Photo: Reuters/Facebook/Handout)
The description uploaded to the new video reads: "This is the sequel to the viral monster "Sandy Hook - Fully Exposed". We will admit it was not as polished as we would have liked. We never thought it would go viral and since the time it was made, some points have been debunked. That does not mean there is not still a ton of evidence and information not only in this video, but in future videos. Try to put a negative spin on this media!"
In the video the makers ask: "With almost everyone owning a camera phone, and with everyone sharing pictures and video, where are all the clips and pictures of 600 children being evacuated and the chaos that went on all day? There should be at least a handful."
The video also goes on to highlight comments by a claimed Graphic Designer, who points out a number of issues with a photo of the Parker family, who lost a daughter in the Newtown tragedy. The Graphic Designer claims Emilie Parker has "clearly" been Photoshopped into a publicized family photo, highlighting a lack of shadow and that she seems "color-adjusted." He also states she is not in a "natural position," and that her head is smaller in comparison to her younger sisters in the photo, indicating she was pasted into the photo.
The video continues to highlight the Parker family, and then shows the same footage from the first video, which shows Emilie Parker's father smiling prior to giving a public statement after the tragedy. As the official statement begins the father starts breathing deeply and quickly and as he starts to speak his voice wavers as his face takes on a more distressed look.
- (Photo: REUTERS/Mike Sega)
The video makers then highlight a comment by "David, Professional Screen Actor," who states: "I can tell you as an actor, and most actors will agree with me, that is exactly how we would get into an emotional scene."
The original viral Sandy Hook hoax video was posted onto YouTube on Jan. 7 and immediately attracted a lot of attention. The video has snowballed and gathered more and more viewers, and has increasingly caught the attention of others who regularly speak on conspiracies and their authenticities.
Despite the huge attention the first video received, some experts have stepped forward to rebuke the viral video as merely a marketing tool, which just "asks questions" rather than offering any clear-cut evidence of any conspiracy, according to a Huffington Post report.
The video lasts for more than 30 minutes and goes through various news reports from the Newtown massacre and interviews conducting in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook shootings. Continue »