A tanning salon has told a woman she's "too fat" to tan, according to reports on Monday.
Kelly McGrevey has said that she was left insulted and embarrassed after she was rejected from a tanning salon in Norton, Ohio. She has described that she purchased a tanning package at the Aloha Tanning salon after being given a quick tour of the facility last Monday. After purchasing the package she used a stand-up tanning bed.
However, when she returned on Tuesday to the same location she was turned away for being "too fat."
The man working at the salon reportedly told her, "Sorry, but I'm not going to let you tan today because we've just implemented a new policy where anyone over 230 pounds can't go in one of our beds," McGrevey described.
She said, "I was just so shocked and embarrassed and humiliated," according to WKYC news.
She was informed that the previous day the stand-up tanning bed had been broken, and that the more common lay-down beds were under the new rules excluding anyone over 230 pounds.
The woman demanded that the owner show her in writing the salon's policy on customer weights, but was refused. A worker, allegedly called Nicole, told her that the policy was not written down but that there was a weight limit on their acrylic beds. She also explained that this should have been discussed with the customer at the time of purchase.
Nicole said, "We do have a lot of bigger people that came in here and they know that they can't go into the laydown beds because they are so, you know, they are bigger."
Insulted, McGrevey then asked for a refund of the $70 she had paid for the monthly package. However, she was then informed that the salon also did not give refunds. She was instead told that she would have to dispute the charges with her credit card company, and seek a refund through that route.
An angry McGrevey then phoned the police to file a report against the salon owner, Justin Hillman.
McGrevey has said, "I'm humiliated. I'm embarrassed. I don't want to face this guy for 30 days. I just want my money back."
Here is a video news report into the tanning salon incident: