An extra on the set of “The Dark Knight Rises” suffered a heart attack and died last month while filming in New York City, according to reports.
The man was apparently present at the rehearsal during the day. While taking a short break, he suffered cardiopulmonary arrest, according to The New York Post.
“He was taken immediately to the hospital,” a source told The New York Post.
The unidentified person also let on that the shooting was taking place near “the Wall Street area.”
Warner Brothers, which distributes the film, confirms that the man passed away in early November.
“The studio can confirm that a male extra passed away while on a break during an off-set crowd rehearsal for a sequence with several hundred extras . . . in early November,” a Warner Brothers spokesperson said.
The Screen Actors’ Guild (SAG) also commented on the extra’s untimely death, telling the public that the man was unaffiliated with their organization.
“We are aware of the death of a background actor during production of this picture and have been told that the actor died of a heart attack. The actor in question was not working under a (SAG) contract,” a SAG representative told The New York Post.
Because of the death of Heath Ledger immediately following the completion of the prequel, “The Dark Knight,” the ominous rumors started fairly quickly following the news.
Rumors have already sprung up that a second actor or extra could have died while filming, but reports deny these allegations.
To stifle further inquiry, Warner Brothers said, “production fully cooperated with the authorities’ investigation, which established that he died of natural causes.”
“The Dark Knight Rises” will be the last movie in Christopher Nolan’s visionary Batman trilogy. As long as the film continues on production schedule, it should be released July 20, 2012.