Each Christian’s journey is unique. Yet certain stages of growth should be common to all believers. For example:
1. God wants to teach new followers basic principles as a foundation on which to build. He expresses these truths through other believers, His Word, and life circumstances.
2. The Lord allows us to serve Him. We were created to do good works , and this becomes evident as growing Christians use their talents to glorify Jesus (Eph. 2:10).
3. God lets us experience “frustrated inadequacy.” Pride and self-confidence are threats to spiritual growth. Therefore, our Father brings us to the place where we realize we can achieve nothing of value without divine guidance and power.
4. To make freedom a reality, the Father will bring His children face to face with whatever holds them captive. We often carry hurts, fears, or other “baggage” from childhood and on our own, have no idea how to gain victory. God allows us to struggle through such issues with His help. As we surrender the problem to Him and seek His perspective, He works to liberate us.
5. The Lord teaches us how to live the “exchanged life” (Gal. 2:20). Our sinful nature has been crucified with Christ, and the Savior’s life is expressed through us as we surrender to the Holy Spirit’s influence.
Do you recognize these stages as you look back over your walk with Christ? Perhaps you can identify an area where God still needs to work in your life. Is there anything standing in the way of allowing Him to live fully through you? Surrender to the Holy Spirit, asking Him to help you become more like Jesus.
Used with Permission