(Photo: Ben Grey/Flickr)
Parents have given Biblical names to their kids ever since, well, the Bible. And while our culture continues to introduce new entries into the naming lexicon – 38% more Kanyes joined the population last year, according to BabyCenter.com – Bible names have staying power.
Out of BabyCenter's 100 Most Popular Baby Names of 2013, here are the top 5 Biblical baby names for boys and girls. Their ranks among the top 100 are in parentheses.
- Noah, of The Flood (5)
- Ethan, author of Psalm 89 (8)
- Jacob, who became Israel (9)
- Benjamin, son of Jacob (13)
- Michael, an archangel (14)
- Abigail, wife of David (14)
- Hannah, mother of Samuel (23)
- Anna, prophetess in the temple (36)
- Leah, wife of Jacob (42)
- Sarah, wife of Abraham (43)
With a slate of Biblical movies coming in 2014, expect Biblical baby names to gain even more ground. That's cool, because getting a name license plate for a Benjamin or Bethany is a lot easier than finding one for a Bilbo or Burgundy.