Brazil's interim President Michel Temer announced on Wednesday that the Olympic Games is safe from the Zika virus and that there is "almost no risk" of getting the disease during the big event.
"We can guarantee, as has the World Health Organization (WHO), that there is almost no risk of cases of the Zika virus occurring during the Games," said Temer as he pointed out that the 2014 World Cup was also threatened by an epidemic but came out safe from it. He also explained how the cool weather in the Southern Hemisphere has led to a massive drop of the disease, and the number of cases has went down dramatically all throughout Brazil.
WHO supported the claim of the president and said that Brazilian authorities are now tightening up safety and control measures throughout the whole venue of the Olympics. WHO told ABC News, "There should be no general restrictions on travel and trade with countries, areas and/or territories with Zika virus transmission." more >>
A Christian relief organization is launching an awareness week about the dangers of mosquitos, labeling the insect the "world's deadliest creature."
Operation Blessing International will host its first-ever "Mosquito Week" beginning on Sunday. The main purpose is to raise awareness about the dangerous illnesses mosquitos spread, especially in the developing world.
David Darg, vice president of international operations for Operation Blessing International, told The Christian Post that "Mosquito Week" was scheduled to intentionally overlap with the renowned "Shark Week" programming on the Discovery Channel. more >>
Two events of massive proportions took place in Brazil this past week, one bringing together hundreds of thousands of Evangelicals in the annual "March for Jesus," and only days later, the Sao Paulo Gay Pride Parade drew two million participants.
The Associated Press reported that on May 26, Sao Paulo welcomed over 350,000 evangelicals for the annual "March for Jesus" event, focused on Protestant unity in the largely Roman Catholic country.
While police failed to provide an estimate of the size of the crowd, The Reborn in Christ Church, which organized the march, said that it exceeded last year's attendance, which numbered 350,000 people. more >>
The UFC's massive pay-per-view event UFC 200 has been stacked with spectacular fights, including an interim title fight between former featherweight champion José Aldo and former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar.
Set to co-headline the July 9th card at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, the winner of the said rematch will be facing undisputed 145-pound champion Conor McGregor later in the year.
Aldo and Edgar had already fought each other in February 2013, when "The Answer" first moved down to featherweight after a two-fight losing streak against fellow former 155-pound champion Benson Henderson. In the said fight, Aldo showed dominance over Edgar on the feet, en route to a unanimous decision victory. more >>
As the 2016 Olympics continues its preparations, more concerns are being raised regarding the healt hazards the festivities could ignite. Recently, an expert has warned people of the Brazil games, believing that pushing it through can cause a "full-blown public health disaster."
A report by Amir Attaran published in the Harvard Public Health Review journal states that the Zika virus will just need one infected tourist to spread an epidemic. "A few viral introductions of that kind, in a few countries, or maybe continents, would make a full-blown global health disaster," Attaran said.
Attaran, a faculty member of Medicine and Faculty of Law at the University of Ottawa, added that the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic games, which are set to be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil starting August 5, need to be either moved to another location or postponed for a later date. He explained that halting the Olympics is a precautionary to ensure that Zika's outbreak in Brazil won't further affect those who are planning to attend or watch the festivities. more >>
On Friday's amfAR Inspiration Gala in Sao Paolo, Brazil, Ricky Martin and new beau Jwan Yosef made their debut as a couple at the red carpet and while their sweet appearance took the attention of many, a bidder's $90,000 give-away to get a kiss from the singer made the night much more special.
According to People, Martin and Yosef walked the red carpet with hands clasped as cameras snapped on the handsomely-dressed couple. Each wearing a black tuxedo, they indirectly confirmed their relationship as they posed for pictures hand-in-hand.
The 32-year-old proud boyfriend took a photo of Martin as he took the stage and made music. Obviously, he was having a blast as he enjoyed the Grammy winner's performance as he captioned the pic: "KICKED *SS #amfar." more >>