A petition started by the American Center for Law and Justice is urging President Barack Obama to make sure foreign aid given to Egypt comes with the condition that Christians are protected from the escalating attacks they are suffering at the hands of Muslim-Brotherhood backed Islamists.
"Seventy churches shouldn't be burned down throughout Egypt. That's happening because the military is not yet willing to stand in the way," Jordan Sekulow, ACLJ executive director, said in a phone interview with The Christian Post on Tuesday.
"Words are not enough. Yes, the United States – when we speak, it's powerful, but what also makes us powerful is the amount of funding we provide to the world and I think this is one of the opportunities we have to at least give this Muslim majority population and military, which we've had a pretty good relationship with, the opportunity to do the right thing." more >>
Patriarchs and heads of churches from all over Jerusalem have praised those in Egypt who are facing violence and bloodshed but have maintained their faith and spoken out against the violence. They are now calling on both Muslims and Christians to unite in opposition of terrorists inciting violence throughout the nation.
"We are following the situation in Egypt, where unprecedented violence and terrorism has wages and a large number of soldiers in Egypt have been murdered, as well as the targeting of churches," according to a statement issued today.
"We appreciate the stance shown by many Muslim citizens protecting their Christian brethren, aiding them in defending churches and public institutions, calling for the perpetrators to abide by the values of tolerance." more >>
The Russian Association of Islamic Accord, which is also known as the All-Russian Muslim Board, has called on Egyptians to protect the country's Christian population.
Mufti Farid Salman, head of the Ulema Council of the association, called on the Egyptian Muslim population to maintain the safety of churches in the country, to protect Muslim and Christian clergy and to "severely punish the extremists who sowed the seeds of chaos and revolt," according to Interfax independent news group.
"It is unacceptable to tolerate the continuation of this orgy of Saran followers, who have burned down several dozens of churches and have looted monasteries in the past few days in an attempt to further fan the flames of this fratricidal war, cease the efforts of those to desecrate, destroy and loot numerous mosques and madrasahs [religious schools]," the mufti continued in a statement. more >>
An Egyptian Christian, who is a research fellow at an institute for religious freedom in the U.S, says last week's attacks on Christian churches and believers in Egypt are the worst in 700 years and believes Western media has not covered the chaos accurately.
"Egypt has not witnessed this size of an attack on Christians, on churches [current reports of up to 50 churches damaged or destroyed] since 1321," said Samuel Tadros, a research fellow at the Hudson Institute's Center for Religious Freedom, to The Christian Post on Tuesday.
Tadros said the news of these attacks has been stifled by confused coverage rather than intentional Western media bias appearing to support the Muslim Brotherhood. Since the violence that included hundreds of deaths on August 14, many Christians including the Coptic Orthodox Church, have denounced the news coverage. Also, the scholar argued that foreign journalists have a tendency to focus on events in the capital, Cairo, rather than those throughout the region. more >>
The turmoil currently taking place in Egypt is not a political struggle, but rather a war by all Egyptians against terrorism, according to H.H. Patriarch Ibrahim Isaac, head of the Coptic Catholic Church in Egypt.
The Christian leader has expressed his categorical rejection of all outsiders interfering in Egypt's internal affairs or its sovereignty, and condemned media promotion of lies and distortion of the truth about the current situation in Egypt.
"The Catholic Church is following, with all the pain and hope, what is going on in our country, from terrorism and loss of life to the burning of churches, schools and state institutions. So, out of love for our country, and in solidarity with all those who love the Christians and Muslims of Egypt, we try as much as we can to contact friendly international entities and show them the reality of things," according to a statement issued Monday. more >>
A viral photo showing Muslim men standing in front of a Catholic church in Egypt, protecting its congregants while they attend mass, serves as juxtaposition to recent reports indicating the growing attacks on Christians by Muslims in the North African country.
The photo, which has been circulated around the internet, shows over 20 Islamic men, wearing traditional Islamic dress, holding hands in a line in front of a large Catholic cathedral. The men are reportedly protecting the Catholic Church from vandalism and attacks while Christian congregants attend mass inside.
The picture has gained a wide amount of media attention after it was tweeted by the Rev. James Martin, S.J., a Jesuit priest and the author and editor-at-large of America, a national Catholic magazine. Martin, who has 30,000 followers, tweeted the image, and it was then retweeted by his followers more than 600 times and made a "favorite" nearly 300 times. more >>