A spokesman for the Nigerian government has admitted that the Boko Haram Islamic terror group will not be defeated by the previously set December deadline, and warned citizens that suicide attacks may continue.
Although back in June President Muhammadu Buhari expressed his high hopes that the militants will be driven out of the country by the end of the year, Air Commodore Yusuf Anas of the Center for Crisis Communication has now said that the December deadline "may be unrealistic," The Associated Press reported.
"The timeline on when to stop the insurgents from activating sleeper cells and detonating bombs into soft targets in any part of the country, especially in the front-line states, is therefore not tenable," Anas added, warning citizens that more suicide bombings are likely to come. more >>
A newly released report on global terrorism has claimed that Nigeria's terror group Boko Haram killed more people than the Islamic State in 2014, committing crimes against humanity, including murder, torture and rape.
The findings, released by the Institute of Economics and Peace at the University of Maryland in its Global Terrorism Index 2015 report, stated that Boko Haram was responsible for 6,664 deaths in 2014, compared to the 6,073 deaths linked to IS in the same year.
The index stated that Nigeria witnessed "the largest increase in terror-related deaths ever recorded by any country," increasing by over 300 percent from 2013. more >>
A major bomb blast at a market in the northeastern Nigerian city of Yola that killed 32 and wounded 80 people Tuesday night was detonated by Islamic terror group Boko Haram, officials said.
"Thirty-two people were killed and 80 have been injured," a Red Cross official confirmed, according to Reuters.
Bombing witness Alhaji Ahmed said, "The ground near my shop was covered with dead bodies. I helped to load 32 dead bodies into five vehicles." more >>
A number of the fathers of the over 200 schoolgirls kidnapped by terror group Boko Haram from Chibok, Nigeria, have spoken out about the continued dangers their families face on a daily basis, and shared their pain of not knowing what has happened to their daughters.
Kristin Wright, director of advocacy for relief group Open Doors USA, told The Christian Post in a phone interview on Wednesday that she was able to meet with 10 of the Chibok fathers during a recent trip to Nigeria. She revealed that despite the grim situation their families find themselves in, the fathers are refusing to give up hope that one day their daughters will return to them.
"One of the fathers, when asked, 'Where do you think your daughter might be?' he said, 'She is the hands of God.' It was a sentiment that was echoed by all of the parents that I met with. They are not going to think about any other reality," Wright told CP. more >>
One Chibok girl who managed to escape Nigerian terror group Boko Haram has revealed that many of the 200 Christian schoolgirls abducted in April 2014 are still alive. But the girls have suffered greatly under the jihadists with a number of them impregnated and carrying diseases, while those who have refused to convert to Islam have been killed.
The Saturday Vanguard reported that one of the kidnapped girls who was kept in the Sambisa forest camp managed to escape captivity, and was rescued by Fulani herdsmen. She revealed that many of the girls have been relocated to the Lake Chad region following heavy military operations on the Sambisa forest by Nigeria's government.
"All of us were forced to become Muslims but kept in camps far from each other," the girl said. "You can only see and recognize those in your camp as any of us who refused being Islamized was either beheaded or shot at point blank range." more >>