A tragic accident took place in a veteran's charity event that brought a lot of sadness to the Adrian community.
It was reported that a 12-year-old girl recently died of a rodeo accident. Kalee Chandler unfortunately died when her horse, Sarrley, had a heart attack. The two just finished running the barrel-races when the horse had an attack that led to Chandler's death.
Sarrley had slammed into a fence, which pinned Chandler beneath her. The young girl was pronouced dead at the Kansas City Hospital leaving her community in grief. Chandler's barrel racing coach, Tracy Murray shared her sentiments on the young girl, as per CBS News. more >>
The Cincinnati Zoo just experienced the loss of one of their beloved animals after a tragic incident this weekend.
The zoo's 17-year-old gorilla was shot dead after it grabbed a child that fell into the enclosure. Reports stated that a 4-year-old boy climbed the railing of the Gorilla World exhibit. He made it through the wires and fell into the enclosure. Some of the passerbys took videos of the gorilla as it grabbed hold of the young boy.
The Chief of the Cincinnati Fire Department, Marc Monahan explained that some people witnessed the gorilla violently dragging the child. One of the Cincinnati Zoo employee shot the gorilla with a long rifle in order to save the child. After that, they got a hold of the child and was brought to Cincinnati Children's Hospital. It was reported that he received serious injuries. more >>
Darwin, Australia seems to be dealing with a problem of saltwater crocodiles that becoming more and more vicious and fearless as the days go by. A few days ago, two men who were vacationing from Bendigo, Victoria, went mud crabbing in Leaders Creek, Darwin. Their vacation ended in tragedy for one of the men, who drowned when a group of crocodiles attacked them on their boat, causing it to turn over. The other man, a 72-year old, made use of a spanner and spark plugs to fend off the attacking reptiles after he fell into the water, according to a report in BBC.
The man who died was said to be also in his 70s. Both men went mud crabbing on Tuesday morning. The survivor was rescued by other fishermen in the creek who heard his cries for help. Some professional crabbers found him hiding in the mangroves where he was able to climb up from the water when the tide changed. He was found three hours after their boat capsized.
The fishermen also managed to retrieve his friend's body and brought him to a boat ramp. After calling Careflight, an air ambulance service, the survivor was treated for "severe shock, dehydration and exposure" to the elements. He was released on Wednesday morning. more >>
Imagine walking to your front door after a jog one morning and you're greeted by a dog with powerful jaws and large teeth, with eyes that reveal the intention to devour you. Well, that kind of stuff is only found in nightmares. But if we were to turn back time, say millions of years ago in an area which is now Maryland, dogs with "bone-crushing" attributes roamed the land.
These ancient dogs were confirmed to have existed in the east coast of the United States after a fossil collector found a fossil. Called the "Cynarctus wangi," the creature is thought to have co-existed with several other mammals including a pre-historic horse, ancient pig species, and a creature that resembles an elephant, per Morning Ticker report.
Of course these dogs have been extinct for a very long time, but the fact that they are speculated to have bone-crushing abilities is something very intriguing and interesting at the same time. The study by the University of Pennsylvania is published in the Journal of Paleontology. more >>
A two-year-old German Shepherd dog named Haus has gotten the attention of dog lovers worldwide as his owners launched a GoFundMe campaign that will be used for the funding of his recovery, FOX reports.
As of this writing, the GoFundMe campaign for Haus has already generated $52,549, a lot more than the original amount needed of $28 thousand dollars for the treatment of his rattlesnake bite. With this, Haus' owner, Donya DeLuca, appealed to those who still intend to fund the dog's treatment to divert their donation to Heidi's Legacy Rescue instead.
On the page of the fundraising website, DeLucas updated the post by saying that she and her family are overwhelmed by the response they get from the public, thanking those who have already made their contributions. more >>
Having a pack of sugarless gum on hand or at near reach is very common among people as it helps ward off hunger or freshens breath after a long day. But while it can almost be found everywhere, it's recently been confirmed that a piece of chewing gum can be fatal -- not to humans but to dogs.
According to a report by Gizmodo, the Food and Drug Administration warned this week that the artificial sweetener Xylitol is lethal to pooches when ingested.
While it is common sense not to give dogs chewing gums, xylitol is not only found in sugarless gums. It's also present in certain foods and home products like breath mints, chewable vitamins, toothpaste, mouthwash, cough syrup, baked goods, peanut butter and more. Wall Street Journal noted that the substance can also be found in prescription medications, face lotions and na The reasons vary but no matter how some owners are careful with what their dogs take in, products containing xylitol end up being eaten. more >>