The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reports that more than 1,000 children have been killed in airstrikes carried out by the Syrian government in the ongoing civil war. The watchdog group adds that 4,879 civilians in total have died in aerial bombardments by warplanes and helicopters, with a U.N. envoy deriding the "unprecedented levels of destruction" Syrians are suffering.
SOHR is keeping records on the civilian casualties in the civil war, which is being waged between the government of President Bashar al-Assad, various rebel forces, and terror group ISIS.
All sides have been accused of causing mass civilian casualties, though SOHR has pointed out that the barrel bomb attacks by the government on cities and towns has been especially deadly to civilians trapped in the cross fire. more >>
Republican Party Chairman Reince Priebus blasted comments by Democratic presidential candidate Martin O'Malley suggesting that climate change is responsible for the rise of terror group ISIS in Iraq and Syria.
"Whether it's the weak Obama-Clinton nuclear deal that paves the way for Iran to obtain an atomic bomb or Martin O'Malley's absurd claim that climate change is responsible for ISIS, it's abundantly clear no one in the Democratic Party has the foreign policy vision to keep America safe," Priebus said in a statement, according to Fox News.
The remarks refer to earlier comments made by former Maryland Governor O'Malley in an interview with Bloomberg Television, when the Democratic hopeful suggested that climate change in the Middle East created conditions that facilitated the rise of ISIS. more >>
Committed to a negotiated settlement over the real possibility of armed conflict, six world powers and Iran have decided to give peace a chance.
With much patience, persistence and hard work for over 20 months, the P5+1 Group (the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council: China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom, and the United States, plus Germany) have reached a nuclear agreement with Iran that is nothing short of historic.
According to the respected Arms Control Association, "The agreement – known as the "Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action" – establishes a strong and effective formula for blocking all of the pathways by which Iran could acquire material for nuclear weapons and promptly detecting and deterring possible efforts by Iran to covertly pursue nuclear weapons in the future." more >>
President Barack Obama welcomed to the White House on Monday Nigeria's new leader Muhammadu Buhari, as the two presidents discussed ongoing plans to defeat Islamic extremist group Boko Haram. The jihadists meanwhile carried out their latest deadly raid, this time invading a village in northern Cameroon, where they slaughtered 23 people, including multiple children.
Obama praised Buhari's integrity and claimed in prepared remarks.that he has "a very clear agenda in defeating Boko Haram extremists of all sorts inside his country."
The Obama administration has pledged $5 million in funding to Nigeria's military since Buhari's election earlier this year, and the two presidents discussed deepening those ties in their meeting on Monday. more >>
The Islamic State's affiliate organization in Libya has claimed responsibility for the kidnapping of three African Christians in eastern Libya by posting the men's passport photos and pictures of them being bound and blindfolded on social media websites sympathetic to the terrorist group's cause.
The International Business Times reports that the three Christian men are migrants from three different countries in Africa — Egypt, Nigeria and Ghana. The militant group posted the pictures of the men on jihadi social media websites on Saturday, where ISIS asserted that the three kidnapped men are in fact Christians.
An anonymous resident told Reuters that the abduction occurred in Noufliyah, an ISIS-controlled town southeast of Sirte. Mohamed El Hejazi, a military spokesman for Libya's official government, verified that the kidnappings occurred in that town. more >>
GOP Presidential candidate Donald Trump said he will not be apologizing to Arizona Senator John McCain despite suggesting that he is not a war hero "because he was captured" and spent five years as a prisoner of war. Trumps' comments have stirred outrage across the Republican field, while McCain's daughter Meghan has expressed her "disgust" at the claim.
Trump told ABC's "This Week" on Sunday that he has no intentions of pulling out of the race despite his controversial comments made on Saturday during a campaign event in Iowa.
"When I left the room, it was a total standing ovation," the billionaire business man claimed. "It was wonderful to see. Nobody was insulted." more >>