The U.S. Justice Department filed a lawsuit against North Carolina on Monday, claiming its new law violates federal law by denying transgender people access to bathrooms as per their gender identity, just after NC Gov. Pat McCrory sued the federal government for attempting to coerce the state into dropping the law.
The Justice Department's lawsuit says North Carolina's House Bill 2 violates Title VII and Title IX of the Civil Rights Law of 1964.
Attorney General Loretta Lynch said the law "placed North Carolina in direct opposition to federal law," and charged that North Carolina "created state-sponsored discrimination against transgender individuals," according to WNCN.com. more >>
The Evangelical Christian bakers who turned down an order for a pro-gay marriage cake in Belfast are back in court seeking to overturn a decision that found them guilty of sexual discrimination, arguing that they could not support what they believe is "sin."
"They could not in conscience provide a product with a message that was inconsistent with their deeply held religious beliefs in circumstances where the evidence was clear that they believed that to do so would be sinful," Barrister David Scoffield QC said, talking about Daniel and Amy McArthur of Ashers Baking Company.
Many family members of the victims and survivors of the Emanuel AME Church massacre that left nine people dead last year are seething over a decision by the church to distribute $1.5 million of the donations they received after the tragedy while keeping over $1.8 million for the church.
The Post and Courier reported Friday that some family members were angered that the church kept more of the donations than it divided up among the nine families and five survivors.
Church leaders, according to the Post and Courier, said only about $280,000 of the donations sent to the church was earmarked for the family members. A vast majority of donations sent to the church didn't specify where the money should go, they said. The church subsequently decided to give family members and survivors more than $1 million in addition the approximately $280,000 donors specified for them. more >>
North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory has filed a lawsuit against the federal government after the United States Department of Justice sent an ultimatum last week that attempted to coerce the state government into dropping its new and controversial transgender bathroom law.
On Monday, McCrory, a Republican, and North Carolina Department of Public Safety Secretary Frank Perry filed a declaratory judgement action, which asks federal courts to clarify whether the Obama administration's interpretation of Title VII and Title IX of U.S. Civil Rights Act of 1964 is consistent with federal law.
The filing of the lawsuit comes on the same day as the state's deadline to explain to the federal agency whether or not it plans to scrub its recently passed law that prohibits transgender individuals from using state-run bathrooms and changing areas designated for the opposite biological sex. more >>
Singapore's City Harvest Church, which recently celebrated its 27th anniversary, has seen its membership numbers drop for yet another year amid the ongoing trial and eight-year prison sentence, pending appeal, for founder and Senior Pastor Kong Hee.
The Sunday Times reported on Sunday that CHC's congregation dropped to 16,482 in 2015, as seen in its annual report, which represents a 6 percent drop from 2014. The publication noted that church membership has been dropping ever since a criminal investigation against the church's leaders began in 2010.
Back in 2009, CHC's membership was up to 23,565, which means the megachurch has seen close to a third of its congregation leave. more >>
The criminal complaint and sex assault trials in Cologne are now underway with the case of a 26-year-old Algerian man charged with attempted sexual assault and theft, as the German city seeks to bring justice for the mass New Year's Eve attacks against women.
BBC News noted that over 1,000 criminal complaints were filed over the violence on the night, including hundreds of alleged sexual assaults, with women stating that they were surrounded by large gangs of men, many of them with North African or Arab appearance.
The 26-year-old Algerian man in question, the first of the many trials to come, is accused of participating in a group of 10 men who groped a woman in the city's main railway station. more >>