The column is co-authored by Christina Hadford.
Domestic abuse scandals have rampaged through the NFL: Greg Hardy, Rod Smith, Anthony Ray Jefferson, and most recently, Ray Rice. In response, the NFL launched a "thorough review" of its personnel conduct policies, management assembled "critical response teams" to address future violence, and Senator Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.) called a congressional hearing to discuss policies related to domestic violence. Unfortunately, however, violence will not wane until efforts are taken to mitigate its cause rather than just control its effects.
To initiate lasting and effective change, the NFL needs to encourage purposefully high standards of sexual conduct. For too long, the NFL has engrossed itself in the sexual revolution by propagating semi-pornographic material and implicitly championing casual sex—both of which are a breeding ground for violence. more >>
Lennon Lacy, 17, was found hanging from a swing set in North Carolina in Aug. this year, and now his girlfriend has spoken out and revealed she fears his death may be related to their relationship.
Michelle Brimhall, 32, and a mother of three, told Daily Mail that she had been dating Lacy for some time before his death. People in the small town of Bladenboro were reportedly not happy about their relationship, given their age difference and the fact that Lacy was black and Brimhall white. Brimhall explained that there could be a connection between his death and their relationship.
"I believe Lennon was murdered. The police ruled his death as suicide but Lennon would never harm himself," Brimhall said. "He's got too much love for life." more >>
Bill Cosby could have a search warrant issued against him now that one of his accusers' allegations is not covered by the statute of limitations.
Cosby, the 77-year-old comedian who became popular in the 1980s and 1990s and starred on the family sitcom "The Cosby Show," has recently been the subject of media scrutiny due to the rising number of allegations brought against him. Over 20 women have come forth alleging that Cosby sexually assaulted and drugged them years ago.
While some of the allegations of assault date back to the 1970s, 24-year-old model Chloe Goins alleges that Cosby drugged and assaulted her in 2008. Spencer Kuvin is acting as Goins' attorney and spoke to The Daily Mail about a Los Angeles Police Department investigation being launched against Cosby that could result in a search warrant being issued. more >>
The family of two Pakistani Christian teenagers, who were gang-raped at gunpoint in the Punjab Province by four Muslim men, is saying that they are being threatened by influential people in their village and warned not to press charges against the attackers.
The father of the two victims, Ilyas Masih, told police that his daughters, 16-year-old Sehrish and 14-year-old Farzana, went outside of their house in the village of Jaranwala during the middle of the night on Dec. 3 to go to the bathroom, since there are no bathrooms inside the house. But when the girls went outside, they did not return. The family began to frantically worry and filed a missing person's complaint with the local police, in which a search was launched to find them.
The two teens were found the next afternoon laying unconscious along the side of the road several miles away from their home village. The girls were taken to a hospital and later told police that a well-known local landlord and three other men had taken them at gunpoint, took them away and raped them. more >>
The controversial nonprofit group Invisible Children, which produced two influential documentaries that helped heighten awareness of the abduction and use of children as soldiers by the Lord's Resistance Army in the Ugandan civil conflict, has announced that it will officially close down by the end of 2015.
The organization is most notable for the 30-minute "Kony 2012" documentary, which called for the arrest of LRA leader Joseph Kony and also called for greater U.S. involvement against the LRA. The documentary, which went viral on YouTube when it was published in March of 2012, received over 100 million views in a matter of five days and helped raise more than $30 million for their cause.
The organization's CEO, Ben Keesey, announced in a recent video statement that the group has had difficulty maintaining funding and it's no longer viable for the organization to continue operating at its current levels. more >>
Bill Cosby will not be indicted on charges of sexually assaulting a minor 40 years ago.
Los Angeles prosecutors made the announcement Tuesday, over one week after Judy Huth came forward to allege that Cosby sexually assaulted her when she was only 16 years old in 1974. Initially, LAPD Chief Charlie Beck said his detectives would investigate no matter the timeframe that had passed.
"We don't turn people away because things are out of statute. You come to us, especially with a sexual allegation, we will work with you," Beck said in a Los Angeles Times report last week. "We address these things seriously, and it's not just because it's Mr. Cosby." more >>