An FBI sting resulted in the rescue of 16 children and the arrest of more than 45 alleged pimps and their associates who admitted to have participated in a sex trade ring at the Super Bowl in New Jersey over the weekend.
"High-profile special events, which draw large crowds, have become lucrative opportunities for child prostitution criminal enterprises," said Ron Hosko, assistant director of the FBI's Criminal Investigative Division, in a statement released Tuesday. "The FBI and our partners remain committed to stopping this cycle of victimization and putting those who try to profit from this type of criminal activity behind bars."
The children reportedly ranged in ages from 13 to 17 years old, and some had been reported missing from their families. A number of women were also rescued in the operation, with officials noting that 70 women and children were provided with food, clothing, and referrals to health care facilities, shelters, and other programs. more >>
Police in Robbins, Ill., are now searching for answers after a father left them no apparent clue of his motive for murdering his wife, 17-year-old son and 15-year-old daughter, who he chased and shot in the back before dying of a heart attack on Sunday.
"I cannot imagine what could bring someone to such a dark place where they believe they need to take the lives of his whole family," said the shaken Robbins Police Chief Mitchell Davis in a news conference Monday morning, according to the Chicago Tribune.
The father, Michael Worsham, 43, began his shooting spree at about 10:30 p.m. Sunday, according to police. They said "for reasons unexplained" Worsham shot his son, Steven, 17, in the kitchen of the family home then went upstairs to his wife of 12 years, Michelle Ollie, dragged her out of bed and shot her too. more >>
Michigan and Indiana officials are on the hunt for escaped murderer Michael David Elliott, who managed to flee from the Ionia Correctional Facility and leave the premises. Not long after, he took a hostage, who later escaped, and police believe he could be in Indiana.
Elliot, 40, was serving five life sentences for being convicted of four counts of first-degree murder and one count of armed robbery. He was also convicted of setting a house on fire and using/possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony. However, he managed to escape from the correctional facility on Sunday evening.
"It appears that he created a hole at the bottom of the two perimeter fences of the correctional facility and then crawled through those holes," Michigan Department of Corrections spokesman Russ Marlan told the Associated Press. more >>
After a former youth pastor pleaded guilty on Wednesday to having sex with a minor at the Calvary Assembly in Walkersville, Md., the church's lead pastor John Kenney said the congregation is working hard to rebuild trust with the roughly 80 teenagers who participate in the youth group.
Shaun Michael Ross, 33, pleaded guilty to sexually abusing a girl who attended his youth group from April 2008 through April 2010, and sought to win her over through texts, phone calls and gifts.
According to State Attorney Lindell K. Angel, Ross justified his actions to the victim by saying that, as her youth pastor, he was the "safest person to learn about sex from," reported The Frederick News-Post. more >>
Actor and director Woody Allen denied accusations made by his adopted daughter that he sexually assaulted her at age seven, and called them "disgraceful."
"Mr. Allen has read the article and found it untrue and disgraceful. He will be responding very soon," Allen's representative shared with The Hollywood Reporter on Sunday.
An open letter was written by Dylan Farrow, whom Allen adopted while in a relationship with actress Mia Farrow in the 1980s. While accusations that Allen abused Dylan made headline news in 1993, the director was never prosecuted and has denied wrongdoing, arguing that Farrow convinced her daughter to believe in a lie. more >>
George Zimmerman is willing to sign up to take part in a celebrity boxing match and he may have some high profile people ready to step up in the ring for a bout with him.
Zimmerman,30, first came into the spotlight as a Florida neighborhood watchman who fatally shot 17-year-old Trayvon Martin which sparked a great deal of public outcry. After he was acquitted of second-degree murder and manslaughter charges last year, a number of people have expressed their disdain for him publicly.
Now, celebrity boxing promoter Damon Feldman says he got Zimmerman to agree to engage in a celebrity boxing match for charity. Although many people have deemed Zimmerman a racist, Feldman says the opponent chosen will have nothing to do with race. more >>