After nine girls got pregnant this school year, Oregon's Gervais School District unanimously decided to start issuing condoms to students starting in the sixth grade, but parents are divided over the new policy.
District Superintendent Rick Hensel told the Statesman Journal that he had been weighing the decision for about a year now after a group of nursing interns from Oregon Health & Science University presented a study highlighting that 5 percent of the girls in grades six through 12 had become pregnant in the last school year.
"The decision was made to allow some specified teachers to have condoms that they could distribute after a discussion with the student," said Hensel, who pointed out that nine girls got pregnant in the school district this year. more >>
Emily Letts, the former actress and abortion counselor who's best known for posting a video on Vimeo and YouTube that allegedly shows her having a surgical abortion, says state laws requiring abortion clinics to obtain parental consent before performing abortions on minors are "dangerous." Letts also asserts that parents shouldn't be "forced" to be involved in their adolescent daughters' healthcare decisions.
Letts, 25, works at the Cherry Hill Women's Center in New Jersey, and was awarded a cash prize from a pro-abortion group for submitting a 3-minute video of herself allegedly having an abortion as an entry in the "Abortion Stigma Busting" contest. The competition was co-organized by the Abortion Care Network and the 1 in 3 Campaign, a project of Advocates for Youth, which advocates for adolescents' access to abortions without parental notification or consent.
In an interview with The Christian Post, Letts defended her abortion video as being real, and not fake, as some people have suggested; and added that she made the video because pro-life advocates are "misinforming women about abortion." more >>
WASHINGTON – A proponent of abstinence education has stated that the term "war on women" is being used to attack sexual risk avoidance education.
Valerie Huber, president and CEO of the National Abstinence Education Association, spoke at a Family Research Council event Wednesday on the issue titled, "Collateral damage in the 'war on women' debate: Sexual risk avoidance education caught in the crosshairs."
In an interview with The Christian Post, Huber explained why she and her nonpartisan organization felt an obligation to address the war on women phrase. more >>
A majority of Americans support having businesses be compelled to provide contraceptive services as part of a healthcare plan, argues the findings of a recently released poll.
Conducted by the Public Religion Research Institute, the poll found that of about 1,100 respondents, 61 percent, felt that "publicly-held corporations" should provide contraception as part of their free healthcare plans.
57 percent of respondents felt that "privately-owned corporations" should be compelled to do the same, while only a slight majority, 51 percent, believed small businesses should be required to do so. more >>
Denee Mallon, a 74-year-old Army veteran who was born a man but has been living as a woman for many years, says she plans on having sex-reassignment surgery to match her persona thanks to a decision by the Department of Health and Human Services Friday to cover the surgery under Medicare.
"This is a big, big decision; I've wanted the operation since I was probably 11 years old and knew about it," said Mallon, an Albuquerque resident in an interview with The New York Times.
"Ever since the first story about Christine Jorgensen came out, I knew that's what I needed to do," she noted, pointing to a former Army private who had a sex-change in 1952. more >>
People seeking sex-reassignment surgeries may now be able to have the procedure covered by Medicare, following a groundbreaking decision by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services review board on Friday.
The ruling in question came in favor of 74-year-old Army veteran Denee Mallon, of Albuquerque, New Mexico, who was born as a man but now identifies as a woman, The Associated Press reported. The vet applied for genital reconstruction surgery two years ago through Medicare, the national social insurance program, but was denied because the program automatically excludes such surgeries.
"Sometimes I am asked aren't I too old to have surgery. My answer is how old is too old?" Mallon stated in an email before Friday's decision. "When people ask if I am too old, it feels like they are implying that it's a 'waste of money' to operate at my age. But I could have an active life ahead of me for another 20 years. And I want to spend those years in congruence and not distress." more >>