Christian refugees who fled Libya via a perilous route across the Mediterranean where thousands of others died seeking to escape religious persecution and poverty, say they were forced to deny Christ after ISIS militants threatened their lives.
"We are Christians but we had to deny our faith otherwise the gunmen would kill us, slit our throats and cut off our heads," a refugee known only as Haben, told the UK's Daily Mail. "I have friends from Eritrea and Egypt who were killed because they are Christians. The men come around with Kalashnikov and they ask you what is your faith. If you are Christian they take you away and kill you. They cut off your head or shoot you. This is what they have done to hundreds of Christians."
Haben, 19, and his younger brother Samuel, 14, escaped Libya by buying seats in a boat headed to Mineo, Greece. Mineo has become a temporary refuge for thousands of Christians and other members of religious minority groups trying to escape persecution at the hands of ISIS militants seeking to establish a caliphate throughout Africa. more >>
A group of Muslims recently threw a dozen Christians overboard a migrant ship traveling from Libya to Italy for praying to Jesus. When Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi dismissed it as a one-off event, President Obama was standing next to him but chose to remain silent. He would have spoken out if the victims were Muslims, writes Fox News' Kirsten Powers in a column.
As Renzi was questioned about the incident at a joint press conference in Washington, D.C., Friday, Obama was "mute on the killings," Powers writes in her column in USA Today.
"The problem is not a problem of (a) clash of religions," Renzi claimed. And the president "failed to interject any sense of outrage or even tepid concern for the targeting of Christians for their faith," she adds. more >>
The University of Al Azhar, the highest academic center of Sunni Islam, along with Muslim governments in the region have condemned the slaughter of 28 Ethiopian Christians in a video released by ISIS on Sunday.
The statement from Al Azhar, attributed to Imam Ahmed al-Tayyeb and sent to Agenzia Fides, calls the mass killings a "heinous crime, committed by the Daesh terrorist group, which goes against any religion, law or human conduct."
The university has also sent its condolences to the government and people of Ethiopia and to the families of the victims. more >>
The Rev. Franklin Graham has responded to the latest video of ISIS beheading Christians by calling on the U.S. government to immediately halt all immigration of Muslims from countries with active terror cells, and at the same time to take military action to defeat the terror group.
Following ISIS' video on Sunday that showed the militants shooting and beheading two groups of Ethiopian Christians in Libya, numbering 30 people in total, Graham asked in a Facebook message: "Can it be that the world is no longer as shocked by Christians having their heads cut off and then ISIS proudly promoting this on video? We should continue to be horrified and nauseated."
He added that Americans must make sure that their government properly recognizes Islam "for the danger it is." more >>
Pakistani police officials are denying that Nouman Masih, the 15-year-old Lahore Christian boy who died last week after being burned for his faith, ever provided testimony indicating that he was attacked by two Muslim men, even though legal advocates can attest to the fact that he did provide police with such a statement.
According to the Pakistani news website Dawn.com, police in Lahore are saying that they never recorded a statement from Masih on how he suffered substantial burn wounds that covered 55 percent of his entire body, which ultimately led to his death five days later.
Acting Deputy Inspector General Rana Ayaz Saleem, head of the Lahore Police Investigation Department, told Dawn that no statement from Masih was ever recorded, and added that no religious motive in the attack was yet determined, even though Masih reiterated multiple times before his death that he was attacked for his faith. more >>
The day after Islamic State militants released a video of Christians in Libya being massacred, the Rev. Franklin Graham urged the U.S. government to "halt all immigration of Muslims from countries that have active terrorist cells," and said President Obama is responsible for the ISIS threat.
"Each day's news seems to reveal new horrors from militant Islam," Graham, who leads the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, wrote on his Facebook page Monday, about the brutality of the Islamic State terror group, which is also known as ISIS or ISIL.
"Can it be that the world is no longer as shocked by Christians having their heads cut off and then ISIS proudly promoting this on video?" he asked readers. Such news should leave us "horrified and nauseated," he wrote, adding that the government needs to recognize "Islam for the danger it is." more >>