The New York Times ran a news story earlier this month about allegations of sexual misconduct perpetrated by influential Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein.
Several women, including prominent actresses Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie, have come forward to accuse Weinstein of harassment and to blame the Hollywood establishment for looking the other way.
A staunch supporter of the Democratic Party, the Weinstein story has sent shockwaves both in the entertainment industry and American politics.
Here are seven crazy facts surrounding the scandal. They include efforts to kill the story, Weinstein's statement on the matter, and indications that others knew long ago about what was happening.
Obama's Daughter Interned for Weinstein
Weinstein was a staunch supporter of the Democratic Party with strong ties to prominent party members, including former President Barack Obama.
In January, Vanity Fair reported that Obama's eldest daughter, Malia, was going to intern for Weinstein before heading off to her first year at Harvard University.
"Malia already has a fair amount of experience in the entertainment industry: she spent some of the summer of 2015 assisting crew members on the set of HBO's Girls, and reportedly had a similar gig on the set of Halle Berry's sci-fi drama Extant the previous year," Vanity Fair reported.
"Clearly, there'll be a lot more for her to learn at the Weinstein Company: Harvey Weinstein is a notorious mover and shaker in Hollywood, a comeback kid whose producing prowess and reputation for waging fierce Oscar campaigns has inspired admiration, envy, and every other emotion on the spectrum."
Hollywood Jokes About Weinstein Before 2017
As the scandal continues, evidence is emerging that there were many in Hollywood who knew or at the least had an idea about Weinstein's behavior toward women.
At a 2013 ceremony announcing Oscar nominees for best actress, comedy writer and actor Seth MacFarlane joked that the nominees "no longer have to pretend to be attracted to Harvey Weinstein."
In a 2012 episode of the Tina Fey comedy "30 Rock," a female character remarked that she was unafraid of anyone in show business, adding, "I turned down intercourse with Harvey Weinstein on no less than three occasions ... out of five."
As an entry on the popular celebrity news and gossip website TMZ put it, "everyone knew what was up years ago."
Weinstein Company Reaction
The Weinstein Company, a major Hollywood production company co-founded by Harvey Weinstein, announced Sunday that they had fired him.
In a statement, the company said that they made the decision due to "new information about misconduct by Harvey Weinstein that has emerged in the past few days."
Furthermore, Deadline Hollywood reported that the Weinstein company has removed Harvey's name from executive producer credits and is considering a name change.
"Additionally, we hear TWC brass are auditioning ad agencies today that will be tasked with finding a new name for the overall production and distribution company," Deadline Hollywood reported.
"TWC has been making calls to TV networks and producers informing them that Harvey Weinstein's name will be scrubbed from credits going forward."
Matt Damon and Russell Crowe Allegedly Tried to Kill the Story
As many speculate how much various Hollywood elites knew of Weinstein's actions, a former New York Times reporter has claimed that celebrities including Matt Damon and Russell Crowe had the story killed years ago.
Sharon Waxman, founder of the Wrap, said that in 2004 she had written up a similar story, but pressure from people including Damon and Crowe made sure the story was cut.
"Waxman alleges in the Wrap that Matt Damon and Russell Crowe called her 'directly' to dispel the reports she was following about Miramax's Italian head Fabrizio Lombardo, who was allegedly hired 'to take care of Weinstein's women needs,'" noted Vulture.com.
"She says that because of their influence, and interference from Weinstein, whose company was a big advertiser in the Times, the article was edited to remove the more salacious details."
For their part, Damon and New York Times Executive Editor Dean Baquet are both on the record as disputing Waxman's claims of a cover-up.
NBC Accused of Burying the Story
Television network NBC has also found itself accused of covering up the abuses of Weinstein, with former MSNBC host Ronan Farrow claiming his expose on Weinstein was banned from being broadcast.
"Farrow, who had his show canceled in 2015 and now has a non-exclusive relationship with NBC, was told months before publication his Weinstein scoop didn't meet NBC's standards," reported Fox News.
"Farrow then asked if he could bring it to a print outlet, and NBC agreed as long as he promised to discuss the story on 'NBC Nightly News' if it turned out to be newsworthy."
Eventually, Farrow's story was published on Oct. 10 by The New Yorker, adding more accusations of sexual misconduct.
NBC News President Noah Oppenheim said in response that he found the allegation "deeply offensive" and that they encouraged Farrow to pursue the research.
"We launched him on that story, we encouraged him to report that story. We supported him and gave him resources to report that story over many, many months," Oppenheim said.
"Like pretty much every newspaper and magazine in L.A. and New York, The New York Times up until last week, New York Magazine, The Hollywood Reporter, you name it, we were on that long list of places that chased this thing, tried to nail it, but weren't ultimately the ones who broke it."
Weinstein Went to Europe in Response to Scandal
TMZ posted a story Tuesday that Harvey Weinstein has traveled to Europe, reportedly to seek professional help for sex addiction.
"We're told Harvey has decided to take the advice of the people around him and leave immediately. We're told he will enter a live-in facility and will deal both with sex and other behavioral issues," TMZ reported.
"We're told Weinstein still believes he can get help, come back and make a fresh start. As a source close to Weinstein put it, 'He wants to come back with fresh, new ideas.'"
The New York Daily News reported that a source told them that the Europe trip was more for "counseling" than "rehab," a way to get "peace" in light of the fallout.
Weinstein Releases Statement Promising to Fight President Trump, the NRA
In a statement released in response to the allegations, Weinstein did not specifically deny any wrongdoing, but rather ascribed his actions to being raised during the 1960s and 1970s.
He also promised to "channel my anger" into efforts to pass increased gun control, stating "I'm going to give the NRA my full attention."
Weinstein said he was "making a movie about our president" and expressed hope that he could give Donald Trump and NRA President Wayne LaPierre "a joint retirement party."