"Battlefield 5" has exited the rumor mill as DICE finally confirms it is in the current development phase with the game.
DICE recently released "Star Wars Battlefront." The game came out on Nov. 17 and a part of the team will still be working on adding fresh content to the game like the recently released The Battle at Jakku DLC.
But the rest of the team will be moving on and working on another project. That project is a new "Battlefield" game.
"Now that we've shipped Battlefront and a part of the team continues to work on it, I am moving on to another project, the next Battlefield," Dan Vanderlind, development director at DICE, tweeted on Friday, Dec. 11.
The existence of the new entry to the "Battlefield" series is about the only new information revealed so far. No fresh details of the upcoming game have been teased.
The new game has no title yet, but the rumor mill has been spreading that "Battlefield 5" will be called "Apocalypse." That's something DICE will have to confirm in future, though.
Another popular rumor about the upcoming "Battlefield" game is that it will reportedly be based in Japan. That's another detail that the developer will have to confirm or debunk in the coming days, weeks, or months.
What has been confirmed about the game's setting, however, is that "Battlefield 5" will be returning to a military location. This year's title for the series, "Battlefield Hardline," focused on cops and robbers, but Blake Jorgensen, EA's chief financial officer, commented during the 2014 UBS Global Technology Conference that the new "Battlefield" game will be going back to the military theme.
"That will be a return to a Battlefield military-style game; more to come on that," he said, as quoted by GameSpot..
The game is expected to release during the 2016 holidays as announced during an earnings call in 2014. Electronic Arts' Andrew Wilson said the game will release on the third quarter of EA's 2017 fiscal year, which ends in December.