Bolton Midfielder Fabrice Muamba Released From Hospital

Bolton Wanderers midfielder, Fabrice Muamba, has been discharged from The London Chest Hospital on Monday following his sudden on field collapse during the FA Cup Quarter-Final soccer match in England on March 17.

The 24-year-old went into cardiac arrest mid-game, and doctors struggled to get his heart pumping on its own for close to an hour.

"I am naturally very pleased to be discharged from hospital and would like to take this opportunity to pay tribute to every single member of staff at The London Chest Hospital who have played a part in my care," a statement from Muamba on Bolton's official website read.

"Their dedication, professionalism and expertise is simply amazing and I will forever be in their debt. I also wish to say thank you to all the many well-wishers who have sent thousands of messages of support. Now I am out of hospital, I am looking forward to continuing my recovery and spending precious time with my family," he added.

It is still unclear whether Muamba will ever be able to play professional soccer again, but experts say that he is lucky to be alive and his recovery was described as "miraculous" by Dr Andrew Deaner, the cardiologist who leapt from his seat to try and help revive Muamba.

Muamba's fiancé, Shauna Muganda, 27, took to Twitter to call for prayers for the football star immediately after the incident, and fans have now expressed thanks that their prayers were answered and that Muamba is making a remarkable recovery.

"Everyone out there thank you so much for all the love and support. Collectively as a family we appreciate it all. Please continue to pray for fab. Fabrice WILL pull through because God is good," Muganda tweeted.

Bolton manager Owen Coyle, who previously confirmed that renowned footballer David Beckham had offered support to Muamba, was pleased to learn that he has finally been released from hospital.

"It is absolutely fantastic news that Fabrice has been discharged from hospital and everyone at the club is delighted. We would also like to add our thanks to the staff at The London Chest Hospital for their care and treatment of Fabrice, which has been outstanding," Coyle wrote.

"It is important that Fabrice and his family are now given time and space to be together, and we would ask the media to continue to respect their privacy," he added.