Cory Monteith Cause of Death: Heroin and Alcohol Overdose

Expand | Collapse
(Photo: Reuters)Actress Lea Michele and actor Cory Monteith of the television show 'Glee' pose in the photo room at the 2010 People's Choice Awards in Los Angeles January 6, 2010.

"Glee" star Cory Monteith died of "mixed drug toxicity" consisting of heroin and alcohol, authorities said Tuesday.

British Columbia coroner's office has said, "At this point there is no evidence to suggest Mr. Monteith's death was anything other than a most-tragic accident."

According to the statement, Cory's family has already been notified of the circumstances surrounding his death.

"On behalf of family members, the BC Coroners Service asks that the media respect their privacy at this difficult time."

The cause of the Glee star's death was determined after an autopsy and toxicology tests were carried out. However, the coroner will continue the investigation.

The Canadian native was found dead inside a hotel room, in Vancouver, British Columbia, last Saturday.

Police believe Monteith was alone when he died and that he returned to his room by himself after being out with friends earlier.

His body was found by hotel staff shortly after noon after Monteith did not check out as scheduled.

Monteith, who played Finn Hudson alongside Lea Michele on the popular TV series, previously admitted himself to a treatment facility in April for substance addiction. According to a representative at the time, he asked for privacy as he took steps toward recovery.

Michele, Monteith's "Glee" co-star and real-life girlfriend, was a strong source of support for him as he went through the rehab program. However, she has been left devastated at the news of his death.

"She [Lea Michele] is absolutely hysterical and completely inconsolable," a source close to the actress told Hollywood Life. "She is devastated beyond belief."