Katt Williams No Show at Court for Arraignment Hearing in Assault Case

Expand | Collapse
(Photo: Reuters/Tami Chappell)Comedian and actor Katt Williams arrives onstage to open the Second Annual BET Awards in Atlanta, Georgia, October 13, 2007.

Katt Williams was a no show at his arraignment hearing in Seattle on Thursday. He was scheduled to appear in court to face assault charges following numerous incidences last week involving store workers as well as police.

At court on Thursday Williams' attorney, Thomas McAllister, attempted to explain his client's absence, saying that the comedian was under the impression that he did not have to appear in person at the hearing. He even cited information from a Seattle Times article to explain what gave his client that impression.

The attorney explained that his client was not even in Seattle but was back in California at the time of the hearing.

The judge was obviously not impressed, but did agree to reschedule the hearing to take place next week.

Williams is in trouble after being accused by officers of hitting a man over the head with a microphone at a performance on Friday night. At the same time he is also alleged to have thrown chairs at fans, as well as threatened a bar manager with a pool cue over the same weekend, according to police reports.

After the bar incident, police have said that they had to physically restrain Williams. Once under control he was then taken into police custody.

Katt Williams has been in the news a lot recently.

He recently stated that he had retired once and for all, according to a report by CNN.

"I'm just going to go ahead and announce my retirement from stand-up. I'm kinda done. I've already discussed it with my kids. I wasn't really going to do it on a Seattle street. I was going to Los Angeles and do it in the offices of ICM or LiveNation," Williams told a photographer, according to CNN.

The news comes following another incident in which Williams was involved in a controversy at a Target store. A video has been posted showing Williams slapping a store employee in the face.

It was reported that after the assault Williams departed the Target store on a motorized scooter and then hopped on his three-wheeled motorcycle.

Some critics have said that it is probably the right decision to retire if true, as he has been getting himself in trouble recently. However, others do not believe it will last and are waiting for the time in the near future he will announce his comeback.

Others have also pointed out that he simply made the retirement comments as he passed by a photographer, and that it was nothing official, making many skeptical over whether retirement is his final decision.

Williams has said that he plans to sue the City of Seattle and expects to receive $50 million for "crippling my reputation as a father and a black man and as a taxpaying citizen and as a person who is not a convicted felon."