After passing on the Bourne spotlight to Avenger actor Jeremy Renner for 2012 "The Bourne Legacy," actor Matt Damon now confirmed that he will reprise his Jason Bourne role in a 2016 film project.
The one to dish out the information was his long time best friend, Ben Affleck. During a red carpet interview with E! News on Friday, the "Argo" star mentioned the film.
"Well, (Damon's) going to be doing a Bourne movie next fall when I've just completely lost any semblance of physical fitness. So--"
"Yes, next year," Damon responded accordingly.
"It'll be in 2016 when the movie will actually come out. (Director) Paul Greengrass is going to do another one and that's all I ever said. I just needed him to say yes," the 44-year-old actor added.
The "Elysium" star previously maintained that he wouldn't make himself get involved in any continuation of the hit action-thriller franchise without Greengrass. The spin-off franchise with Jeremy Renner on it, somehow managed to soar well in the box office.
Meanwhile, The Guardian stated in their report that although the Damon-led Bourne is apparently a sure thing to come, the Renner-starring offshoot of the series "remains to be seen."
"A sequel to 2012's The Bourne Legacy was scheduled for 2016 with Fast and Furious director Justin Lin attached, and a Bourne film of some kind is still lined up for release on 15 July of that year, though whether it's the Lin-directed, Renner-starring variety or the Matt Damon/Greengrass iteration is unclear," the site said.
"Bourne 5," which is the working title, is slated to hit the theaters in July 2016.