Michael Douglas appeared on the red carpet without his estranged wife over the weekend, but the actor remains optimistic.
The Hollywood couple separated after 13 years of marriage with an announcement issued on Aug. 28.
Nevertheless, Douglas has continued wearing his wedding ring, and has repeatedly expressed his certainty that his marriage will prevail.
"Things are great," the 69-year-old told reporters in Las Vegas during a promotional event for his new movie "Last Vegas," according to People.
"Onward and upward," Douglas added.
Alternately, Zeta-Jones also continues to wear her wedding ring, and neither actor has filed for a divorce.
"They're taking a break," said a source close to the couple, while another explained that "stress has taken a toll on their marriage," according to People.
The couple's statement confirmed that Douglas and Zeta-Jones are "taking some time apart to evaluate and work on their marriage."
However, the couple are said to be working things out today.
"Michael's asked Catherine to give things another try and she's agreed. It's not just for the sake of the children," a source told The Sun U.K. adding, "When they're good they're amazing together, so they're hammering out their issues at their home."
Furthermore, Douglas assured Entertainment Tonight's Nancy O'Dell that "everything is fine" earlier this month.
"Nothing really more to say," added the actor. "We were just taking a little break. We're talking. I think everything will be fine, and I'm very hopeful."
Also, during the Emmy Awards, Douglas publicly thanked his estranged wife as well as the children they share.
"I want to thank my wife, Catherine, for her support; my kids, Dylan and Carys, and a shout-out to my oldest son, Cameron," said the actor.
"Last Vegas" also stars Morgan Freeman, Robert De Niro and Kevin Kline as older men who attend a bachelor party in Sin City. The comedy hits theaters on Nov. 1.