The prosecution in the Dominique Strauss-Kahn case this week was attempting to finalize a decision about whether to use evidence of a new alleged rape victim that surfaced this week.
Tristan Banon, a French writer, filed a complaint on Tuesday alleging that the former International Monetary Fund chief tried to rape her in 2003. Meanwhile, current charges against Strauss-Kahn stem from a May sexual assault accusation made by a maid of a New York hotel.
Banon’s testimony may help support evidence for the 32-year-old maid who is accusing Strauss-Kahn of sexual misconduct.
Recently, the media claimed the Guinean immigrant also served as a call girl for male hotel guests.
The maid, who is only using her initials “N.D.” in the media, is suing The New York Post for what she calls false accusations.
While the maid's credibility has come into question, another statement against the former IMF leader could strengthen her case.
Agnes Labregere-Delorme, spokeswoman for the prosecution, said there are a lot of factors to take into account before a decision can be made to use Barron.
“[The prosecution is] considering whether to dismiss the claim, open an investigation, or refer it to a judge,” Labregere-Delorme said.
Aside from the decision to use Barron’s testimony, the court must also decide if the current prosecutor should remain a part of the case. The accuser’s lawyer recently filed a complaint to the Manhattan District Attorney’s office, claiming that the prosecutor leaked information to the media in an attempt to defame N.D.
Despite these complaints, New York District Attorney Cyrus Vance refuses to resign from his position in the case. While these key components of the case are still being sorted through, Strauss-Kahn was released from house arrest last week.
Strauss-Kahn, 62, stepped down from his position as IMF chief after the rape accusation. He maintains his innocence and will appear in court on July 18.