Siblings Get 35 Years After Crime Spree and Shoot Outs With Cops

Expand | Collapse

Three siblings have received more than 35 years in prison from a Florida judge on Monday, after forming a team to go on a cross-country crime spree.

Ryan Dougherty, Lee Grace Dougherty and Dylan Dougherty Stanley were sentenced by federal court senior judge, Hugh Lawson, on Monday for their part in the robbery of a bank in South Georgia in August 2011 – which was just one incident as they made their way across the country.

The three siblings had started their crime spree in Florida but ended up on Colorado, where they were arrested after a shoot out.

Judge Lawson said, "Let me say this - this was a crazy dangerous thing. I just think it is a miracle that no one was killed."

However, the sentence was immediately rebuked by Ryan Dougherty, who called the judge's decision rash and "not in line with the crimes I've committed," according to ABC News.

The trio issued an apology to the Valdosta bank employees prior to their sentences being given out. However, their apology did not seem to give them any sympathy in sentencing, and they each received 35 years and 8 months in prison. After they are freed they will also be given five years supervised release.

The siblings were also told that if they have good conduct while serving their sentences then they could be eligible for released after 30 years.

The three have already been sentenced to other charges related to their capture in August 2011, to which they all pleaded guilty. Ryan Dougherty got 18 years, Lee Grace Dougherty received 24 years and Dylan Dougherty Stanley got 32 years.

They are also likely to be sentenced to more time, however, as they still face charges in Florida related to accusations that they shot at a police officer during a high speed chase.

The trio were initially sought by police when they fled after a police officer attempted to pull them over for speeding northeast of Tampa, Fla on Aug. 2, 2011. The ensuing chase led to them allegedly fleeing at speeds in excess of 100 mph and firing at least 20 gunshots. The chase ended when they allegedly shot the tire of the police vehicle chasing them.

They then allegedly drove more than 200 miles away and robbed the Certus Bank in Valdosta with an AK-47 style assault rifle and a machine pistol, according to ABC News. They got away with $5,168.

Eight days later the trio would take part in a shoot out with police officers who spotted them in the San Isabel National Forest. The chase ended when spike strips were used to disable their car, although Lee Dougherty continued on foot to try and escape and was shot in the leg after allegedly aiming he gun at an officer.