(Photo: The Christian Post/Sonny Hong)
As thousands of Americans gather in Washington this week for the Faith & Freedom Coalition Road to Majority conference, much of the conversation will focus on which 2016 presidential candidates best represent the faith-based values many in the nation hold dear. Though he's not one of the presidential hopefuls scheduled to speak at the conference, Dr. Ben Carson is sure to be the topic of much conversation.
America was founded as a Christian nation, built on family values and biblical ideals, and those ideals are still integral to who we are as a nation today. Unfortunately, we now face multiple forces conspiring to rip America from its roots, threatening not just Christians but the freedoms we all enjoy as Americans. More than ever we need a leader in the White House who understands that our Judeo-Christian values are our nation's strength. That's why Dr. Carson is the ideal candidate for the 2016 GOP nomination. A dedicated leader and statesman, and above all a committed Christian, Dr. Carson will work tirelessly to ensure people of all beliefs can continue to enjoy the freedoms envisioned by our nation's founders.
Here are five reasons Dr. Carson is the right candidate to lead our nation:
1. Faith. Dr. Ben Carson is a life-long, committed Christian with a strong Christian worldview. He trusts in Jesus as his personal Lord and Savior and believes faith in Jesus is the only path to heaven. He believes that the Bible is the true, inspired word of God given to men and women, containing God's plan of salvation and offering timeless wisdom and counsel that is always relevant, and he reads the Bible every day. Because Dr. Carson has been blessed with many gifts, he endeavors to live his life as a testimony of his faith and allows that faith to permeate every aspect of his life, from the operating room to the voting booth. Faith in God has sustained Dr. Carson through trials and encouraged him as he seeks to serve God and his fellow man.
2. Compassion. Dr. Carson also understands the true meaning of compassion. It is about giving yourself-time, money and skills-to help those in need. He follows Deuteronomy 15:7-8, which says: "If there is a poor man among your brothers in any of the towns of the land that the LORD your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother. Rather be openhanded and freely lend him whatever he needs." But the Bible also says, "Each of you should give whatever you have decided. You shouldn't be sorry that you gave or feel forced to give, since God loves a cheerful giver"(2 Cor. 9:7). Dr. Carson understands that compassion is not about tax dollars or the power of government being used to help the poor. It's about loving others and giving freely and generously.
3. Life. As a Christian physician, Dr. Carson is deeply opposed to taking the life of a baby through abortion. On numerous occasions Dr. Carson has counseled women to have their baby instead of aborting it. He has also operated with success in cases where other doctors have advised abortion, and he has publicly defended doctors who refused to conduct abortions based on their faith. He has said, "There is no war on [women], the war is on their babies." In public office, Dr. Carson's deep pro-life commitment would inform his policy decisions and ensure respect for life.
4. Public Morality. Dr. Carson strongly believes that both private and public morality are essential to maintaining a free society. As Benjamin Franklin said, "Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters." Traditional biblical morality is essential to sustaining American freedom. Moreover, Christians have a responsibility to be upright citizens, responsible stewards of God's earth, and caring neighbors. Dr. Carson is fully committed to living and leading according to his Christian faith.
5. Reconciliation and Harmony. Dr. Carson believes that envy, jealousy and greed are not just divisive political issues, but grave moral wrongs. The Bible makes this clear. James 3:16 says, "For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice." Dr. Carson believes that to intentionally encourage division between races, ages, sexes or those in different economic circumstances hurts our nation. He speaks out forcefully against political correctness and other forms of soft tyranny that encourage division among Americans. As president, he would seek to bring harmony and reconciliation to our nation, healing the bitter divides that have been tearing us apart for years.
America remains a Christian nation, and it needs a strong Christian leader to heal and unite and put us on the path to a strong future. Dr. Carson is that leader. Christians who long to see America return to its roots as a vibrant Christian nation must rally behind Dr. Carson and urge him to enter the race for the 2016 Republican nomination.