Denying any sort of plea agreement with the MLB organization, Alex Rodriguez says he will return to the Yankee lineup on Monday.
Alex Rodriguez was determined to keep his eye on the ball Tuesday while discussing rumors about his involvement with an ongoing MLB investigation over performance-enhancing drugs. Planning his return to the field by Monday, he revealed nothing about a possible plea arrangement that could end his career as a professional baseball player.
"Well, I don't think there's anything that's going on right now, and that's as far as I'm going to take it," Rodriguez said in an interview with CNN. "I think it's important that we have a process. I think we have a good system with Major League Baseball. And let's let the process play out."
Rodriguez said Wednesday on New York's WFAN radio station that he would return from rehab after suffering a preseason hip injury. His statement was backed by the Yankees.
"That's the hope," general manager Brian Cashman told ESPN New York. "Let's get through the weekend and see where he is at and see if he is major league able."
Talking about his surgery, Rodriguez admitted that it was "definitely the hardest surgery I've had to overcome." Rodriguez is one of 20 names that has come up during the MLB investigation into performance enhancing drugs. Earlier this week it was rumored that he could sign a plea deal that would lead to a 150-game suspension, likely ending his baseball career for good.
"You know, I'd just rather not get into any of that right now. It's premature, and we'll let the process play out," he told CNN Tuesday. Not ready to retire, the player added that he still had something to offer to the team.
"Look, there's no hiding it. I'm not a spring chicken anymore. I'm not 28. I'm going to be 38 here in July. But I do think I can contribute," he said.