Cissy Houston, the mother of late singer Whitney Houston, is reportedly upset after receiving a pre-Grammy Award invitation from Clive Davis one year after her daughter died before the same event.
- (Photo: REUTERS/Joshua Roberts)
Houston died in her room at the Beverly Hilton Hotel one year ago just hours before she was supposed to attend music industry executive Clive Davis' annual pre-Grammy party at the same venue. Although E! news reports have stated that Davis will honor Houston in some way at this year's event, the late singer's mother told Access Hollywood that she found the idea "obscene."
"I got an invitation to the party, which is the most obscene thing," Cissy told Access Hollywood. "I don't know why they would want me to come to the party in which she died, you know? Unheard of. I guess maybe he just sent me a copy for remembrance sake."
However, the deceased singer's brother and sister-in-law, Gary and Pat Houston, are planning to attend the party. Pat described why she would attend the festivities in a New York Daily News report.
"We're going in support of Clive to show our appreciation of him as he honors Whitney," Pat said.
Davis spoke about Houston in an E! News report, recalling her talent and what throwing the party one year after her death meant to him.
"She was this generation's greatest, greatest singing talent," Davis told E! News. "So we'll do something over the course of the evening Saturday night to show that.It's very much with me and she'll be with me."
Davis, former president of Arista Records, discovered Houston when she was 20 years old and served as her mentor throughout her career. For Pat, supporting his party was important since he impacted the late singer so much.
"[Clive] was such an important part of Whitney's life. I mean, that was her industry father and he really, really was," Pat told Entertainment Tonight. "My husband and I will definitely be there this weekend to support Clive. Absolutely."
- Whitney Houston's Family Reality Show 'Wrong' Way to Grieve?
- Bobbi Kristina Draws Prayers From Fans After Premiere of Reality TV Show
- Bobbi Kristina Inheritance Left Untouched: Star to Get Million?
- Pat Houston Clears Up Bobbi Kristina Engagement and Substance Abuse Rumors
- Whitney Houston's 'Never Give Up' Song Released Posthumously (AUDIO)
- Bobbi Kristina Compares Herself to Jesus Amid Speculation About Car Crash
- Whitney Houston Murdered By Thugs, P.I. Claims
- Bobbi-Kristina Slams Book: Twitter Rant at Cissy Houston's 'Remembering Whitney' (VIDEO)